FEG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have an FEG. There is a virtual library of knowledge from the late, great Stephen Camp on Hi Powers, including FEG.

FEG did NOT make things easy, as they produced at least three different versions of the pistol with the exact same model number.

Yours looks like it has the 1911 style slide stop, but it could have a Browning style barrel/lockup. Look for a subtle oval shape on the non ejection port side of the frame just above the trigger. If you see one, you have a Browning lockup with a 1911 style slide stop.

I have seen FEGs with the S&W barrel, but most of them have the safety mounted on the slide, not the frame.

This one definitely has the S&W style barrel, read a book called Decoding the FEG HI-Power by Jerry Paregien and it has a picture guide showing the different type barrels

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on S. Camp will look for his ... book I hope. Believe I may have seen a reference to him on the 1911 forum.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep !! No records and what there is, is confusing, different guns with the same model number, same guns with different model numbers!!! This should to keep my OCD out of control for a while LOL

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most BHP parts should interchange. Obviously, with the Smith and Wesson style barrel lock-up, the barrel itself will not interchange with one made for the BHP. The extended thumb safety and extended slide release lever on the gun Okierider posted pics of are superior in design and functionality to their Browning counterparts, IMO. I had one just like the one pictured, and it was every bit as reliable as any BHP I've ever owned (10 or more), and more accurate than most. As mentioned, extractor springs are a notorious weak spot on the FEG clones. Replace yours with one listed for the BHP and your son will have a fine shooting, accurate and reliable pistol.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cops gun shop had another model, it was a shorter barrel version but seemed to be in good condition. Did not spend to much time looking at it though.
If it is a shorter-barreled BHP clone and is marked "FM" instead of "FEG" (and NOT "FN"!) get yourself down there and buy it ASAP! The short-barreled FM model 90/95 "Detective" model is much sought after.

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is a shorter-barreled BHP clone and is marked "FM" instead of "FEG" (and NOT "FN"!) get yourself down there and buy it ASAP! The short-barreled FM model 90/95 "Detective" model is much sought after.

The shorter one was a FEG !!! The price was like $330.

Latest posts

Top Bottom