Fighter Jets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been researching but I cannot find a definitive answer to the STEM hangar. What does STEM or S.T.E.M. as it were, stand for? Would you please find out and report back?
Science Technology Engineering Math

What he said.

IMG_4898.jpeg

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody going?

How’s traffic out there today? Best way to get in and out of the area and into and out of the show?
I took the boys and getting in was...something. We waited in line for 3 hours after parking and that line was over 3 miles long. Tens of thousands of people were shuffled through 4 metal detectors. By the time we made it to security they were just passing people through without any type of bag checks, no removing things from pockets, nothing. I read on Facebook that people who rode the shuttles in were waiting over 2 hours to get on one to be transported back to their parking areas.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took the boys and getting in was...something. We waited in line for 3 hours after parking and that line was over 3 miles long. Tens of thousands of people were shuffled through 4 metal detectors. By the time we made it to security they were just passing people through without any type of bag checks, no removing things from pockets, nothing. I read on Facebook that people who rode the shuttles in were waiting over 2 hours to get on one to be transported back to their parking areas.
Man, reading that makes me very happy that my wife and I chose to watch from the road on the north side of Draper Lake. Sure, we missed out on some stuff, but more importantly, we missed out on THAT stuff.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I enjoyed it but I always loved air shows. I was right on the front line close to show line center. The prop planes don't do much for me, but I love to see the jets fly. The F35A was awesome! And the Blue Angels put on a good show in spite of being short one plane for a while. First time I've seen them fly the Super Hornet. They just don't demo much military equipment like they used to.

Attachments

• IMG_3772.jpeg
    IMG_3772.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3786.jpeg
    IMG_3786.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best airshow I have ever seen was in Oklahoma at C.E Paige Airport.
They had three eras of military aircraft put on mock battles and show off their capabilities.
The first one was WWII. A couple of Texan trainers, a couple of Corsair F-4U's and a few P-51 Mustangs along with the B-17, and a B-24 Liberator.

The second era was Viet Nam. They had a mock exercise of a pilot down with a pilot actually parachuting in. They had VC in pointy hats, AK's and black pajamas hunting the pilot. They had a Cessna O-1 Birddog with rockets marking the area. Then a Douglas A-1 Skyraider Sandy came in and napalmed the area. then a Sikorsky HH-3 Jolly Green extracted the pilot.

The third one was an F-16 and an A-10 strafing baddies at show central. A Black Hawk, A U-2 demo flybys of a B-1 from Wichita and a B-2. from Whiteman.

Infrikkincredible!

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All aircraft are required to have a ADS-B transponder including military. However, the Air Force is behind on install.
Some aircraft are exempt but they have limitations on where they can fly. Things like, para-motors, gliders, ultralights, experimental, and older non-electronic equipped planes are a few examples of aircraft that may not be required to have ADS-B Out. So, some aircraft are not required to have ADS-B and some aircraft can also request an authorized deviation to fly into certain classes of airspace which require it.

Last I knew for military, certain aircraft and/or types of missions were exempt from these rules, fighters, bombers and special missions were named. The special missions exclusion sounds fairly universal and broad huh? Also, federal, state and local governments can exempt certain flights they might make. I'm not an expert in any of this, read the fine print, there is a ton of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom