Finally getting some mators.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine have spread out big time too. But the tomatoes I am getting are all split, not sure if Im just not watering enough or the variety sucks for this hot part of the state.

This might help.

http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Tomatoes-from-Splitting

Those are some nice looking tomatoes, most of what I am seeing around here are dwarfed and crenated. Well done!

Most of them did not get very big. Tennis ball size is about average with a few bigger. On the bright side, they sure eat good. I used several to make Swiss Steak tonight. Nothing like good home grown organic tomatoes. Next I am going to have to serve some with my Cheaters Chicken Parmesan.

I picked a few more this evening before the rains hit. Not completely ripe yet but the old banana in a bag trick will take care of that.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wifey bought two plants about the end of the hot wx last year, but them in 2 and a half gallon pots that we put in and out of the garage most sunny days. Picked the last one the day before Christmas.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, the last two years my wife has tried to grow some tomatos with NO success.

Plants have grown like weeds, but very limited production. Like one or two all season.

Any suggestions on planting and care for next year?

Dave

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, the last two years my wife has tried to grow some tomatos with NO success.

Plants have grown like weeds, but very limited production. Like one or two all season.

Any suggestions on planting and care for next year?

Dave

I have no idea what happened this year outside of maybe all the rain we had made the plants go nuts. Once they started putting on blooms and the rains went back to normal, we just watered as we normally would. We did not fertilize at all.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you folks actually taste the difference between home-grown and store-bought tomatoes? Or is it the knowledge that it's a home-grown tomato that subconsciously "informs" you it tastes better?

In other words, if someone blindfolded you and set down in front of you one of each kind of tomato without telling you which was which, could you still identify their source by taste alone?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you folks actually taste the difference between home-grown and store-bought tomatoes? Or is it the knowledge that it's a home-grown tomato that subconsciously "informs" you it tastes better?

In other words, if someone blindfolded you and set down in front of you one of each kind of tomato without telling you which was which, could you still identify their source by taste alone?

OH NO ... yeah, there is a definite different ... Like the difference in eating a well-cooked steak or chewing on a shoestring ... I can't even stomach store-bought tomatos anymore ... Not even the "vine-ripened" ones ... bleech ...

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OH NO ... yeah, there is a definite different ... Like the difference in eating a well-cooked steak or chewing on a shoestring ... I can't even stomach store-bought tomatos anymore ... Not even the "vine-ripened" ones ... bleech ...

The home grown have a richer flavor is the only way I can explain it.

I wondered. It's been a long time since I grew tomatoes in my back yard - the birds saw to it that my crop was a meager one each year - so I can't recall enough of the taste of a homegrown tomato to stack it up against a store-bought tomato. I'm sure I could detect the difference in a back-to-back taste test, though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom