Finally getting some mators.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My pepper plants... nada. Disease or bugs got them. Tomato plants grew huge! But, I suspect too much rain. I am just now seeing fruit. The plants are not doing well now. I still have habaneros from two years ago but, no jalepenos nor habaneros this year.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wondered. It's been a long time since I grew tomatoes in my back yard - the birds saw to it that my crop was a meager one each year - so I can't recall enough of the taste of a homegrown tomato to stack it up against a store-bought tomato. I'm sure I could detect the difference in a back-to-back taste test, though.

I'm finding out that my three biggest problems with regard to backyard gardening in the 'burbs are:

1. Squirrels;
2. Birds; and
3. GC ... :naughty:

I'm gonna have to figure something out for next year ... maybe some PVC pipe hoops with netting draped over it ...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got home from an out of town hunt early this afternoon. Filled a walmart bag with three plants. Left the rest for the birds. Made homemade tomato sauce, venison meatballs with garden onions, bell peppers, jalapeno's, rice, and an egg. All over spaghetti. Right at the end of making the sauce, tossed in a double handful of cherry tomato's, for a little bite surprise.

Pretty tasty. There are enough green ones coming on now, that I'm going to think about pickling the green tomato's if I can ever get these dammed wheat fields planted.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm finding out that my three biggest problems with regard to backyard gardening in the 'burbs are:

1. Squirrels;
2. Birds; and
3. GC ... :naughty:

I'm gonna have to figure something out for next year ... maybe some PVC pipe hoops with netting draped over it ...

Not sure those will help with GC. Depends on where you drape the netting I guess. :D :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad used an old minnow seine. I see our local nursery has some nylon netting now for the same purpose.

GC may have some issues with the new stuff while you ravage him.:yelclap:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The last time, I only had four plants in a corner of the back yard, so I tried some chicken wire left over from another project. I set up the chicken wire using its "curvature" to encircle the plants, then I cut another piece and laid it across the top of the vertical portion. It worked pretty well, but was a pain in the butt to move so I could get to the ripe tomatoes. I'll have to try again next season - if I can remember to do so :P

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL ... Well, while we are always up for new and adventuresome ... ahhh ... adventures ... :naughty: I sure don't want to have to fight thought a bunch of tree netting to get to the fruits of my labor ... :rollingla

Latest posts

Top Bottom