Finished sighting in my .375

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Whitworth .375 H&H ate a scope a while back. Finally got a chance to go to Banner to sight in the new one. Weather conditions that day were 100. Temp, humidity, and wind velocity, all 100.

Got next to an east wall on the first 100 yard range. Ended up with a one hole group two inches high and called that good enough. Have a scraped elbow due to carelessness/concrete bench/short sleeves.

Also re-checked my Ruger 77 Mk II stainless 30-06 with the twenty pound trigger (probably only eight pounds or so, but . . .). The deer I killed with it last fall was hit farther back (he was facing left) than I had intended. Sure enough, at 100 yards it was shooting five inches to the right. Now two inches high and dead center after several shots to allow the wind to vary a litle.

While I was there, I let a fairly new shooter shoot my East German Makarov. He became an instant convert. Kind of annoyed me by shooting it better than I do.:bigeye: CB

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats what I was wondering. What scope did you put on it? I have been looking at possibly getting a .375 Ruger and have been trying to decide what to do about a scope.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is a Pentax 1.5-6. Forget the diameter and it's in the safe.

Same scope as the one that failed, but this one seems to be hanging in.

A general rule for what in North America passes for heavy rifles is low magnification/wide field of view. If the game is a bear or a big hog, you may need to find it fast in the scope. African hunters often use 1x scopes, and I am told many professional hunters will insist you leave your scope on the lowest power while you are walking around.

Burris makes some nice low power scopes for reasonable money.

Hondafire, I still have that .44 Ruger I bought from you. Shoots good. I think I would go with the .375 H&H instead of the Ruger because of recoil, expensive ammo/brass, and ammo availability. I suspect a few years from now Ruger's new round will be real hard to find. The H&H, while a little slower, is available world wide and will be 100 years old soon. CB

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks CB, that info is very valuable to me. Glad to hear you still have the 44 mag. It needed a good home. I am going to do more searching into the 375. I may even consider the 338 RCM or just a 338 win. I don't have a high power large bore at the time. Whats your idea on a good all around big bore other than the 375?

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are you guys shooting with these monsters??

awww.orchardphoto.com_d7zo13.jpg

How about Jackal with a Blaser R 93 in 375 H&H Magnum. The scope; a Leuopold VX-II 3-9X. Even used Leupolds are covered under Leupold's lifetime warranty and can be acquired quite economically. They hold up well even to 458 Lott recoil.

A 375 H&H Magnum isn't a monster, by the way. In Africa, it's considered a medium bore.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks CB, that info is very valuable to me. Glad to hear you still have the 44 mag. It needed a good home. I am going to do more searching into the 375. I may even consider the 338 RCM or just a 338 win. I don't have a high power large bore at the time. Whats your idea on a good all around big bore other than the 375?

If your wanting a short action the 375 Ruger or the 33rcm will be just the ticket. But you may not be able to get the same velocitys from handloads that you do from the ractory ammo.

For 338 I would not do the Edge but go with the standerd 338 RUM, that's what I did any how.. ( thoug I am going to sell it) the Edge is really cool but you have to make the brass and that's kinda a pain. ( for really long range might be worth it though)

Now the for the 375 well the King is the 375 H&H and I really liked the one I had!! With Rl15 I could get the 300gr TSX's up to 2670 with good case life and very good accuracy.. I higly recomend the H&H. Its done it all for a very long time, and you can get ammo anywere......

Now if you want long range and a .375 ( I did) I went with the .375 Rum :50cal: Now this will give recoil a new name...... Im running a 300gr TSX at 2875.
I have two scopes set up in Talley QD rings a 3.5x10 BC Luppy I can shoot to 550yds on the retical. and a 1.75-6 for the 300gr and can shoot to 300yds no problem.

I would recomend a CRF ( contoled round feed) rifle no matter which one you go with.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is no big deal to neck up the .300 RUM brass to .338 for the Edge. If you want a shorter barreled rifle then stick to the .338 RUM. If you want a .375 for long range, then look at the .375 Cheytac.

insert from:prdator
Now if you want long range and a .375 ( I did) I went with the .375 Rum Now this will give recoil a new name...... Im running a 300gr TSX at 2875.
Using what load data and powder are coming up with that velocity? The bc of the 300gr TSX is only .357. That is fine for short range shooting; but sucks for long range. It is a great set-up for elk/bear at normal ranges. I don't believe your velocity numbers are correct though.

Here's a pic of my DE .338 Edge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom