First attempt at smokin'.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's what's in so far today.

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202014_20140525_115147_zpsktnpdh22.jpg

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha... I think I will sprinkle some more on... it actually has more than the pic looks like. For some reason under the shade in the smoke it looks pretty bare, but it's not. I rubbed in about 4 big tablespoons on each side.

<edit> Sprinkled a good four or five more tablespoons. I'm always afraid of overdoing it, so I have been a bit tentative. lol. It's quite well-covered by now! :D

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Put more rub on those puppies. Make it like breading on a chicken fry. Okay well, almost like that...

Actually, I do just the opposite.

I use only hickory, and let the smoke be the seasoning.

I prefer to taste the meat and the smoke instead of a bunch of dry spices.

I cook ribs low and slow for about six hours. Three to four hours at first, then wrap in foil for the remaining time.

The only thing that makes it better, is to mop on some homemade sauce that I get from a couple of locals, and then finish them off on the grill.

There is no store bought sauce I have tried that I will use on my BBQ.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never get a "hammy" taste with my rub. Next time, I will make some with and without salt and try it on a slab of ribs to see if there is a difference in taste. Next week I am going to smoke some bacon. I have 10 pork bellies in the freezer. Have some apple wood I have been saving for bacon.
I am not really a fan of pellet smokers. An offset is easy to use, once you figure out how much wood and air it needs.

I just mixed up a batch of this but more basic (I didn't add your last 3 ingredients) and was amazed at how good it was. To the point that I doubt I will ever buy another commercial rub again. This was my 1st time doing a homebrew rub. :thumb:
For commercial the Cookshack rubs are pretty dang good and my favorite, followed by Daddy Hinkles. But my homebrew just blew them out of the water, especially when comparing cost. This rub is also a good "all purpose" rub being that it works well on most anything. I just used it on some pork chops that I broiled in the oven last night.

I do differ on rubbing pork and letting it set overnight though. If you have salt in your rub (and who doesn't?) your ribs can get "hammy" tasting. I don't want to make ham unless I'm making ham. Beef? By all means, I'll let that brisket go a full 24 hours or even more depending on the schedule.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn, you have went straight from Rookie to Pro in one long weekend! I am buying us a freaking smoker. My wife has been wanting one for awhile now. You guys have put the nail in the coffin for one, for us!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never get a "hammy" taste with my rub. Next time, I will make some with and without salt and try it on a slab of ribs to see if there is a difference in taste. Next week I am going to smoke some bacon. I have 10 pork bellies in the freezer. Have some apple wood I have been saving for bacon.
I am not really a fan of pellet smokers. An offset is easy to use, once you figure out how much wood and air it needs.

If you combine salt, and sugar, or brown sugar, and some moisture, it will permeate the meat and give it a different flavor. Its called the process of brining.

It will give it a slightly salty taste like ham, but if you add spices to the brine, you will get the juiciest, most flavorful pork you'll ever taste.

The brining process can be used on poultry or turkey as well. These in particular dry out really easily, but the brining puts so much moisture into the meat, that it can be over cooked a little and still run clear juice when you cut into the breast.

The solutions for pork and poultry/turkey is different. If you try the pork recipe on chicken, it will be too salty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom