Smokin' Saturday!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bleedsorange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love it when people post their food pics and recipes. Smoking food is a hobby of mine as well and I always enjoy seeing what other people do and how they do it. I am going to have to try the Armadillo Eggs!! I currently have a couple pork shoulders on right now.

Keep the pics coming!!

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those are some good looking peppers, I'll take a couple. I think we might still have a few in the freezer left over from last time we smoked some. You got my taste buds watering. Need to dig around to see if I can find them. Thanks for sharing.

I smoked a 9lb pork butt (new name "pork shoulder" with the bone) Friday night through Saturday in an electric smoker. Most everyone has a method that works for them. I take it out of the package, rinse it off, cover it with a rub and put it in the smoker. I cook at 225 with plenty of hickory and a little pecan smoke looking for an internal temperature of 190-195. This one took about 23 hours, and it was almost too tender, was falling apart when I took it off. It had a long stall. This is the big advantage with an electric smoker, put it on and go to bed, wait for the remote temp sensor alarm to let you know when it is done.

I put it in a cooler for a couple hours then pulled it with a standard table fork. I then put the shredded meat into a foil pan adding "finishing sauce" (about two cups), then back into the smoker about 30 min to add more smoke to the exposed meat stiring couple times. We most likely like more smoke than many people. Wifey is out of town a few days. I hope there is some left when she gets home, or I might have to do another one pretty soon.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I smoked a 9lb pork butt (new name "pork shoulder" with the bone) Friday night through Saturday in an electric smoker. Most everyone has a method that works for them. I take it out of the package, rinse it off, cover it with a rub and put it in the smoker. I cook at 225 with plenty of hickory and a little pecan smoke looking for an internal temperature of 190-195. This one took about 23 hours, and it was almost too tender, was falling apart when I took it off. It had a long stall. This is the big advantage with an electric smoker

OK, I am wanting to do this next time, but 23hrs??...wow did you purposely cook it that long at that heat or is that typical?

Sent from my Galaxy Note III

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This one.

Going shopping soon for a pork butt/pork shoulder. After reading up, I think I've decided not to brine, just to salt, then rub.

Pork butt has enough fat in the meat that it doesn't need brined.

The pork loin that is almost fat free really benefits from the brining process. Turkey/chicken is another deal.

Keep in mind that the brining process for pork is different from the poultry. What works for pork, will make a chicken taste like drinking pure salt from a container.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I am wanting to do this next time, but 23hrs??...wow did you purposely cook it that long at that heat or is that typical?

Sent from my Galaxy Note III
Depending on the meat, sometimes the temperature will plateau and hold at a certain temp for quite awhile before it breaks down the connecting tissue. I've had 2 pork shoulders in at the same time, the first was done in about 10 hours the second took 16. Thankfully I wasn't in a hurry. Standard cook times are an average to start with. But always plan to take longer. I always figure my times to be done about 2 hours before we eat. That way I have a couple hours of leeway. If it's done on time, no biggie... Just foil it, wrap it in towels, stick it in an ice chest for the remainder of the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom