Smokin' Saturday!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice.

This how my wife and I got started into smoking meats.

Eventually we built a big smoker and went on the circuit. Never won anything, but was usually in the top 10%.

Fun times.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
My problem now is I like to cook more than I can eat! I am actually tossing some older stuff out after a few days! I don't really know how to cook "small" and with this stuff, freezing it after the fact ain't the best option, I don't think. When I do big batches of spaghetti, jambalaya, chili, enchiladas, meatballs and the like, I can freeze portions for later. Not really so with this stuff, I don't think. <sigh>

Gonna do a pork shoulder on Tuesday morning and take it to a clinic I'm volunteering at... I hope they eat it! lol

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So how long do you smoke the pepper/meat combo?

Hmmm.... I wanna say it was about an hour, maybe 90 minutes? Can't remember offhand... just till they looked done. I did have a thermometer probe inside that reached 165. I think last time I did them around 2 hours, but they weren't dry at all.

They were good, but I still wasn't completely happy with them... I'm going to need to experiment some more. Not sure what I'm gonna do, I'll give it some thought...

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are the "after" pics... I should have gotten a pic of the armadillo eggs when I cut a couple open, but you know me, I was too busy stuffing my face to think of the camera! lol

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202014_004_zps765ad463.jpg

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202014_009_zps0cb1e5a7.jpg

Also, the chicken was a little heavy on the seasoning. Next time, I'm going to leave out the smoked paprika and also not put the rub on quite so heavy. It was a little too much, honestly.

I'm open to ideas on how to do the pork shoulder, by the way. I'm gonna brine it tonight, I think, then stick it in the smoker Tuesday morning. I'm off to AmazingRibs.com right now to research. Or would a pork butt be a better choice? I need to read about the differences and all. Butt, shoulder, loin... I need to choose.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha.

Well, it's good to know people like seeing it. I love to cook and this smoking thing is a new thing for me, so I am really enjoying it. I was afraid some folks would get irritated and say, "This ain't your food site, man." People get irritated when folks post pictures of their food on Instagram and Twitter and Facebook (so I hear, I don't participate in any of those), so I wasn't sure if it would get old here quickly. I just like sharing my recipes and experiences... which I why I mentioned how I wasn't too happy with the chicken and need to change the seasoning. My problem is I season to taste and with the "pinch of this, shake of that" method, never by actual amounts. So.... sometimes it's hard to quantify for others how much I've used. I know for myself, and I can pretty easily recreate anything I've done, or adjust for taste when trying to recreate, but not so much teaching others, unless it's someone in the kitchen with me watching me. :/

But I will continue to post my experiences, as long as others aren't irritated by it! :D I love to cook for others and share food and recipes... so this is a great place to do that! :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom