First Day of Deer (rifle) season....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the slowest openers I remember in the NE Oklahoma Oakey-woods. Also the windiest without a doubt. Very few shots heard. Maybe 5 semi-close shots all day yesterday.
There were only 2 shots in the 7 hours I was on stand today, and they were way off in the distance. Usually sounds like a war zone. One of the heaviest hunted counties in the state, usually trails only Osage on gun kill in spite of being much smaller. It's HIGHLY unusual not to hear shots all day long on opening day.

I was on stand all day yesterday, saw 0 deer.
7 hours today and saw a group of 5 does/fawns and then a lone button buck.

Hunting partner did see 3 bucks dogging does outside camp yesterday midday. One was a nice one. He is bucked out after mistaking a little spike for a doe in bow season. Had to watch him stand there broadside and couldn't shoot. He also saw a little buck Sat. morning. No other deer were seen.

This weather sucks. 19 hours in a tree in the warm wind over 2 days about fried my brain. Here's to calmer, cooler weather after this front comes through. Damn.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Packed it in and headed home. Nothing to see today. Next chance to hunt is Wednesday, hope it's better than today otherwise I am going to spend Turkey day in the woods too.

TerryD

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
first morning we didnt see anything but one squirell. First evening about 5 deer came in the field from all directions, no big bucks but i saw 3 small bucks and 8-9 doe. so i took my doe the first evening. Second morning nothing either, didnt hunt this evening. Gonna stay out for a few days, cool weather coming wednesday so I will get back out then.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
killed a 8 pointer at 7:45 am and a doe at 7:47 saw 15 or so in woodward county. it was pretty chilly up there. didn't see a single deer yesterday

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the wind, I moved into the deep woods. Had 9 deer pass by on the trail, one doe being chased by a buck, the rest bucks cruising, and a couple of does.
Made me mad when the wind layed down at 5pm. My strategy of being on a cut milo field didn't work out at 2pm when getting in the stand. The wind was blowing so hard I couldn't have hit anything aimed at. Packed up and moved to the woods.
Even had a skeeter bite me on the arm.......unheard of in the past.....gotta be global warming...

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Wife got her first deer Sat. morning 8pt. 160lbs, was using a Howa 1500 in a 243 w/80gr Power Points. She was so excited, she didn't even mind our son and nephew putting a blood mark on her cheeks. Will try to post pics later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom