First Lawsuit Filed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Billybob, those types of cases are brought now and again, and I don't know of one that has won. Probably is one out there, but I'm not familiar with it.

Typically, Pharma cases (and I have a lot of them) deal with the side effects (to the patient). Although, this is against the doctors, I think to survive sj, you'd have to show that nutso was taken meds exactly as prescribed and docs knew or should have known the drugs were likely to cause some sort of violent psychotic break. A way uphill battle that would be expensive and require a lot of dueling experts.
A l

I'm sure it would be harder to prove a mental connection as opposed to a medical one, but there's been a growing body of info and cases ever since the first "Prozac defense". And it raises the question that if a drug is the cause of/excuse for violence in the context of criminal defense and there is data tying it to violent acts why would it not be a known side effect.

http://ssristories.com/index.php?p=won

And here's a recent, (though foreign) case,

Judge Agrees Prozac Made Teen A Killer

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-peter-breggin/judge-agrees-prozac-made-_b_989536.html

Many of the school shootings have an SSRI,(antidepressants) connection,

http://ssristories.com/index.php?p=school

ahamay6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
JB, and I say this cautiously on this forum, I love ya man, but this is the problem with attorneys. "Somebody has to be responsible"? Uh, yeah, his name is James Holmes, PERIOD! Nobody would argue that he owes the victims and only the victims restitution but theyre not gonna get it. To assume that anybody else owes you anything is insane. This case should be mocked and never allowed to waste tax payers money in a court room. Sorry man.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
That doesn't offend me at all bro. No need to apologize. I think it's stupid. It's not a foreseable even that a @#$% nut job is going to utilize the emergency exits to attempt to massacre the theater. Stupid client and even stupider lawyer.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1). The emergency exits should have been monitored and alarmed. Had they been, it would have alerted folks that someone was accessing the doors in a non-emergency.

2). The meds? That's a loser theory.

3). The violent nature of the movie? Also, a loser. Wasn't it the premiere? Did he see it earlier in the day? This tactic has been tried before and does not work.

Did the Building code or the Fire Code require the exits to be alarmed? Most places like that that have alarms on the exit doors do that to prevent people from letting others in without paying. Yes, the other patrons may have heard the alarm, but in today's society, when a car alarm goes off, a few heads will turn and people go about what they were doing.

I was in the Ford Center one night when the smoke from the WWE pyrotechnics set off the fire alarm systems. The fire alarm went off, the lights were flashing, a pre-programmed recorded announcement was coming through the speakers telling everyone that the fire alarm had been activated and everyone needed to leave in a calm fashion. Not a single person left or moved out of their seats.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Torrence likes the big girls...

ll_media.tmz.com_2012_07_23_0723_torrence_lawsuit_james_holmes_article_3.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom