First Revolver Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StammesOpfer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thinking about a first revolver. Dangerous start to an addiction I hear. I would be interested in a little guidance on model and possibly brand (everyone loves S&W). I am not looking to carry it so size and weight are not issues but I don't want a .500 S&W with a 10" barrel either. I "think" I want a .357 just so I don't get a 38 and kick myself later.

So what models should I look at and new, used, certain years, features.... Ready. Set.... GO!!!

Thanks.

P.S. Whats with model numbers that don't seem to have anything to do with what the gun is. Model 62 or G23. M&P40 XDm9 are so much easier.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are in for it now. I have S&W, Colt, and USFA SAA. I love the .357 mag chambering since you can shoot .38 spcl or .357 mag which makes it versitile in home defense, plinking, or hunting. The model number denote a system used by S&W as Colt used names like Python, Cobra, Dimondback.

Good luck with the future addiction.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Ruger Security Six or GP100, S&W K or L frame .357 (19,66,586,686)

I would also look at a 4" barrel, as you can carry that if you ever really wanted to. If it's a range gun primarily, I would recommend adjustable sights also.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
S&W model 19

or 66,same gun in stainless and usually can be found for just a few more bucks.
i think the 586 in blue with the wood grips is maybe the most beautiful revolver ever(did i just call a gun beautiful), but there is a little extra weight with the full lug.

Latest posts

Top Bottom