First Revolver Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, you didn't mention a budget, so why not get a Colt Python in .357 mag with a 6" bbl - get the best and be done with it?

Then get a Colt Anaconda in .45 colt to go with it.

Or for that matter, with no budget limitations, a Korth. No reason to buy mediocre with no budget limits.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy a new hillary-hole Smith. Go old if you go Smith.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand the lock can easily be removed if it bothers you. The only S&W I have with a lock is a .22, so it doesn't bother me at all.

-S

It took me about a half hour to do so this evening on my 396NG. But I have old arthritic fingers and I also cleaned the inside of the revolver well. Replaced the lock with the plug. I still have a range gun (45 ACP revolver) with the IL. If I ever decide to carry it I will replace the lock on it. I used to be vocal against the IL but now that the plug is available to fill the hole I have been shooting recent Smiths. My two have been some of the tightest, smoothest Smiths I have owned and they are very accurate. You can get a couple of J frames new without the IL but I'm afraid it's here to stay. I still don't like it, would never have it on a carry gun, but...I wouldn't pass up a new Smith if everything else was what you wanted. Another nice thing is the plug comes in a little plastic bag which the lock can fit into. Keep it in the S&W box and if you ever want to sell it, or need to send it back to S&W it will take about 15 minutes to put it back in (or in my case, 30 minutes).

The suggestions for a K/L frame in .357 are good. L if you shoot magnums lots and K if you shoot mostly .38s with occasional magnum. The .22 is also a great choice. I like blued guns but stainless are much easier to take care of. I'm sure you will soon have a "bunch."

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will be the first to bring it up. You might also look into a Taurus revolver. They are solid guns and sometimes get a bad rap. I have had several and even though some don't want to hear it they are just as reliable as the big names.

This one would serve you well. Taurus 44 (no it's not mine)

BC

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It took me about a half hour to do so this evening on my 396NG. But I have old arthritic fingers and I also cleaned the inside of the revolver well. Replaced the lock with the plug.

Good to know it really is as easy as it sounds. I have no intention of removing the lock from my 617 and all of my larger caliber S&Ws are pre-lock, but you never know what I might buy in the future.

-S

Latest posts

Top Bottom