First time I met Don Franson (AKA Honeybee)...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm proud that I was able to call Don a friend. Don was indeed a man of great character. When you pray for Don, please do not forget to say a prayer for Lia, she must carry on without the love of her life.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I met Don when I was asking questions on refinishing a Model 12 Win shotgun. He was still living near the Fairgrounds before getting his shop. I decided to refinish the wood myself with his suggestions, and he took the rest of the gun to do a rust blue job that was what was done in 1928.
Called him a couple of times for more advice on the wood project, finally getting back to pick up the rest of the gun.

To say the least, I was amazed at how well he had polished out the imperfections in what was basically a wall hanger, and found the flat spring that locked the action into battery somewhere. Made a shooter from a wall hanger.

Amazing man.

Keelty

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I met Don and Lia at a Fat Guy Shooting Team breakfast. He brought jelly for a giveaway! it was awesome! Don was a wonderful person that touched everyone he met. Lia does the same to all. I am honored to have met Don and called him friend. Please keep Lia and family in your prayers.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't remember the first time that I met Don. I talked to him on several occasions, usually at shows. He was always ready to talk about his great passion, firearms. The world is a better place for Don having been a part of it, if only for a short time. He was a good, caring person.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I met Don at his shop. Thought I would stop by to say hi to a OSA member, ended up there for several hours talking to him and Lia and petting their dog. I went there several times and everytime I left I always thought "Gosh they are the niceset people."

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The first time I met Don and Lia was at their shop, picking up a mosin. It just happened to come with a little owners manual in the box and he said he hadn't seen one before and asked if he could could copy it. Probably never got all the cosmoline off the copier. Always enjoyed going in and talking to them. He will be missed.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I met Don when he asked the forum for help moving a piano out of his house.

That was the second time I visited with Don, getting that piano into the back of a pickup. The first time, I gave him a great price on a modern, parkerized 1911; while moving the piano, he showed me the 1911 after he'd gotten done rust bluing it and slicking up the action. He did a gorgeous job!

His playful dog made me linger in Don's shop, and Lia was ready to try and fix me up with a decent woman :wink2:

My thoughts and prayers with Lia and for Don's soul.

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don was a great human being and will be missed. Lia, you are in my prayers.

I will never forget the day I was doing some work in his house. We had been discussing the mini cannons that someone had posted a video of on this site. I told him I was going to order one the next week because I thought they were cool. Just a little while later, Don walks back in and hands me one that he had just made for me on his lathe. It is still sitting on my desk right now, and will always be treasured.

We had fallen out of touch over the past few years, life happens....RIP Buddy.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great guy... I met him during the big OSA Mosin group buy, got a couple rifles on the deal.

Same story for me; I'll never forget seeing that many boxed Mosins stacked in a room! Did several transactions with him after that, both at his house and at the store. Great guy, as well as his wife. RIP.

Latest posts

Top Bottom