First time you fired a shot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm too old to remember the details, but here's my guess:
1st BB gun: Crossman pump in about 1970
1st 22 rim fire: bolt action single shot using CB caps to snipe Starlings for my cat (same for BB gun); maybe about 1975.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Around age ten, on grandparents rural property in the vicinity of Cleora. 1967, was shown how to load an over and under .22/410. Best fun I’d ever had, grandad took me squirrel hunting later. There were groves, strips and clusters of trees on the place. Have a memory of realizing the bare limbed dead trees were easier to see the tree rats on, than the leaved, brushy limbs. Had received no gun handling instruction at that point, but the tv images of soldiers holding rifles at port arms had sunk in. Tried to hold that carry position and it was positively commented on. My dad wasn’t an avid shooter and despite be an aerospace plant guard who did have to qualify with a four inch barrel S&W .38 revolver, didn’t (or couldn’t teach me much). The older men at the ranges I went to started my real education at about age 21. When I was on my own, making money and spending it as I saw fit.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can’t recall. Had a Daisy as early as I can remember. Bought bb’s at Otasco. Then toted an Ithaca 49 around the farm by about 3rd grade. Folks got me a Savage 24c for Christmas when I was 11. Still have all three though the Daisy’s spring too weak to shoot.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aye! It was about 1953 and I was around (6) years old when me old Uncle Edwin Sonner drew a Black Quarter Size Mark (The Black Spot) on a small sheet of paper, pinned it on a large log in the basement corner of my Grandparents’ home at 9119 Hollis Court Blvd, Queens Village, NYC, NY 11428 and coached me as I fired a .22 cal. BB Cap Round from an old Winchester Bolt Action Rifle that once belonged to his younger Brother, Warren (an Army Air Force Pilot who was Killed in Action on a bombing mission to take out a German V1 Site over Siracourt, France). I still have this treasured rifle in my safe…..some things you don’t forget.

mahatma

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 55 years ago I was 18 or 19 and in the College Pershing Rifles Precision Drill Team. First gun I ever fired was a blank in an M1 Garand during a half-time performance of the drill team at a college football game. Shot the round at present arms position straight up into the air. 16 rounds shot off simultaneously at one point during the performance. Every person in the stands jumped 6 inches off of their seat when they went off.

Next time I shot one I was about 70 years old and it was a 38 revolver with my son-in-law at the range at 5 yards just to see what shooting a hand gun was like. Went a bought a Glock 19 after shooting a Glock 17 at the police range and been shooting regularly every since then. Right now I mostly shoot my Glock 44 because ammo is much more affordable. Glock is still my primary gun to carry if I carry one, which is not often.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to put a lot of thought into when I actually fired a anything greater than a pellet gun. I can't recall what age but I do remember my grandad was a guard for pecan grove that was alongside the Neosho River. I spent a lot of time with him camping in his truck camper on the weekends. I do recall a revolver, not sure of caliber, and a bolt action .410. I have the bolt action .410 in my safe. We would eat canned chili and stewed squirrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom