Fish antibiotics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're going for over the counter anti-biotics down at the feed store, at least go for the stuff that was meant for mammals, because if you're reading this, you're probably a mammal.

To clarify, antibiotics are antibiotics. There is no chemical difference between "fish" antibiotics and what you believe is meant for mammals.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'll give you that, but aren't fish anti-biotics meant to address a different spectrum of bacteria than human antibiotics? My own advice would be to see a doctor rather than to shoot-up some Shi+ you found in the discount bin down at the pet shop. Make way Make way. Stand Back, I yam a Doaktor!

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And they are in pill form. Not sure why you are dead set on shooting up something? A lot of the animal antibiotics are oral as well, just a paste.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
uhmmmmmmmmmmmm, what kind of 'drugs' DID you take, way back in the '70's?

:lmfao: JK

seriously ............. just do the research, like BB said. WALGREEN'S advertises they can fill your PET PRESCRIPTIONS. Most are the same thing, key word is MOST, does not mean mammals only. Dosages are by body weight, on some drugs; a cow / horse may use the same drug, but NOT the same dose.

ROFLMAO!! Dad was a DVM ... We took what he gave us cuz we NEVER went to a "real" doctor!

My drug of choice in the '60s and '70s was Jack Daniels Black...

Hmmm ... Late 70s, 80s for me ... Although I gotta say I preferred "herbals". Easier to function the next day ... :wink2:

Oxytetracycline is used for bacterial/fungal problems on fish 6.4 ozs cost $4.99 @ Tractor Supply.

Yep.

To clarify, antibiotics are antibiotics. There is no chemical difference between "fish" antibiotics and what you believe is meant for mammals.

Yep.

By "do your research" I meant learn which antibiotics are used for which type of infections and do some scientific reading on expiration dates and the changes that can occur in specific medications when they are stored improperly or are past their expiration dates.

If you are gonna play doctor (or pharmacist) it would be in your best interests to study like doctors and pharmacists have to. Random posts on WSHTF.end ARE NOT sufficient for this purpose unless you are willing to trust your life (or a loved one's life) to some armchair commando's idea of "what makes sense" to him and his 7th grade education.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are [B said:
gonna play doctor [/B](or pharmacist) it would be in your best interests to study like doctors and pharmacists have to. Random posts on WSHTF.end ARE NOT sufficient for this purpose unless you are willing to trust your life (or a loved one's life) to some armchair commando's idea of "what makes sense" to him and his 7th grade education.

I was a volunteer working in the hospital pharmacy while in HS. Thought I wanted to be a pharmacist, but hated Latin and they make you take a lot of that crap. Anyways, the pharmacy was in the basement about 50 ft from the back door. One Saturday morning I am getting the morning pills ready and set a little brown bag up in the window. A couple minutes later this fine, upstanding, ghetto, citizen type opens the door; runs to the window, snatches the bag and back out the door. The security guard (who was having coffee with me, since I had a fresh pot all the time) jumps up to give chase. I tell him just sit back and let him go. If he needs those suppositories that bad, I hope he enjoys them. :clap3:

tulsaprepper

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daughter is a Vet Tech at an animal hospital. When I asked her about feed store antibiotics, she questioned whether the regulations for storage and purity were the same as for use by humans or for use by veterinarians. I would think feed store stuff would be at the bottom for proper handling and purity. This could be wrong, but felt the need to share my daughter's thoughts on this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom