Fishing in the Dominican Republic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK243

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone here fished in the Dominican Republic?
My wife and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary there in August and we would like to do some fishing while we are there. She has never fished in the ocean and I have only bottom fished in the gulf once. Right now it is a toss up between deepsea fishing and inshore/reef fishing. I'm not sure which one would be best suited for being that both of us are very uneducated at this type of fishing. If we go deepsea fishing, we should be right in the middle of blue marlin season. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive done both and inshore fishing is more fun for me. I'm not much on sitting and waiting for something to chase a bait being drug around behind the boat. They set the hook and hand you the big ole stiff rod, then they continue to drive the boat around while you wrestle with whatever they've hooked. This might be fun for some, just not me. I would rather catch smaller fish on smaller tackle and have some control over what is actually happening.
Either way, if they are biting, you will have fun.

Take pics!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We went deep sea fishing in Jamaica during Marlin season. Here is something to consider. Your likely to not catch anything. We were out all day and caught one that was around 100 lbs. we were in the only boat that day that caught anything. there were 4 people that paid to go, and we drew straws to see who got to sit in the fighting chair. I had last straw. Three of us paid for an expensive boat ride.
We have had a lot more fun taking a night time shark fishing trip and a reef trip where everybody caught fish.

OK243

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis, do you remember what month you went?
From the fishing charts I have seen for the DR, blue marlin should be hot. I'm sure that there will be plenty of inshore fish if we decide to go that route. If I can play the cards right, I might swing an inshore one day and deepsea another day.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was in the fall, Oct or Nov. Been a couple of years, I don't remember the exact month.
We always try to take vacation in the fall when the kids are in school and its less crowded.

Latest posts

Top Bottom