Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went fishing this morning for a couple hours.
One pole I had what I thought would work for catfish bait, ended up catching a good sized snapping turtle.
I thought to myself, how the heck am I going to get my hook back, I decided not to & cut the string & let the turtle back in the water. I don't know if the dinner sized plate of a turtle will survive or not, but it was a new experience for me.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I went fishing this morning for a couple hours.
One pole I had what I thought would work for catfish bait, ended up catching a good sized snapping turtle.
I thought to myself, how the heck am I going to get my hook back, I decided not to & cut the string & let the turtle back in the water. I don't know if the dinner sized plate of a turtle will survive or not, but it was a new experience for me.
It was will rust out. He’ll be fine. I’ve hooked into a couple turtles that felt like railroad ties.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can hold the line up allowing the weight of the turtle to pull the neck out of it's shell.
You may need to hold it up for a minute or so and then the turtle gets tired and can't pull it's neck back in very well.

Then in the blink of an eye grab the neck and put the death grip around the neck with your free hand.
That turtle will try and pull it's head back into the shell and try to breathe at the same and usually the mouth is open.

You can now grab the hook and try and remove it from the mouth of the turtle if it is in the mouth.
I have got back many hooks that way.
If you squeeze tight they can't pull their heads back in through your hand.

Now if it's an alligator snapper with huge neck you may be out of luck.
Beware those strike as quick or quicker than Bruce Lee.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn’t contribute much, but my son had another good afternoon on the river. We set out a trot line too, but all we caught was a 14” soft shell turtle. I was able to get him off without hurting him.
5B3D027B-A5BF-4A8E-801A-6562D85CCFDC.jpeg

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t contribute much, but my son had another good afternoon on the river. We set out a trot line too, but all we caught was a 14” soft shell turtle. I was able to get him off without hurting him.
View attachment 174946

Retrieverman - your brother looks like an identical twin to one of my brothers; the resemblance is remarkable. I had to look close to see a difference. And, it would be characteristic of my brother to be posing with a mess of fish.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Retrieverman - your brother looks like an identical twin to one of my brothers; the resemblance is remarkable. I had to look close to see a difference. And, it would be characteristic of my brother to be posing with a mess of fish.
It's his son. I just met him. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom