Fitness accountability thread?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking to add some sort of boxing or hand to hand stuff to my cardio. Need to broaden my training but not sure where to start....

If you have access to a heavy bag thats a good start, or my preference, get one and hang it in your garage or in a tree in the back yard, Ive had a bag hung in every house Ive lived in since I was 15, even in an apartment. Just start with practicing the basics like going thru the different punches, add combinations, add some footwork coordinating your feet with your hands, etc. If youre right handed then work on developing a left handed jab and then work on adding a right handed power punch to the jab, throw in some work on uppercuts on both sides, side hooks, then mix it all up. Go to YouTube, VEVO, whatever for some training vids to get tips from. If youre on Facebook there are tons of boxing groups to join to get info from, I belong to a bunch with alot of great guys to trade training tips with, some are pro's.

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm 5'10 and 150 pounds soaking wet, so I finally found something I am good at! LOL My 135 pound squat sure ain't it! Funny thing was, I was terrible at running when I younger, but I finally sucked up and started training at it this year. I get in 25 miles a week, give or take, over 3-4 runs.

I've run a 5k in 22:30 (Once! and nearly died after! I have been in the 23 a couple times as well) and a half marathon in the 1 hour 50 minutes range. I'm going to try and do a couple half marathons next year but my longer term goal is a sub 20-min 5k. I know there's lots of faster folk out there, but for being in my mid-30s and starting late, I'm pretty pleased with where I am and my goals.

Hey, man - I just signed up for a doubler at Post Oak March 7-8. 10k on Sat, half mar on Sun.
Post Oak is the baddest 10K I've ever seen - you ought to check it out, there are tons of race options that weekend.

Oh yeah, ran 5.4 wth all my runngun gear in the mud yesterday. It sucked.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, man - I just signed up for a doubler at Post Oak March 7-8. 10k on Sat, half mar on Sun.
Post Oak is the baddest 10K I've ever seen - you ought to check it out, there are tons of race options that weekend.

Oh yeah, ran 5.4 wth all my runngun gear in the mud yesterday. It sucked.

I'll take a look! I maybe running the half marathon in Bentonville, which I think is the same month. But if not, Post Oak sounds good. I need to work on my 10k time. I'm at 51 minutes now and want to get sub 50.

I did 2 miles this morning, at 6:50 and 7:29. After the run less than 12 hours ago, I thought 2 miles would be taking it easy. It wasn't. Legs are complete jelly.

I've really wanted to look into the runngun thing, but I don't have a suitable center fire pistol and rifle for such a task anymore. And I kinda pretty much suck at the rifle distances in that event :D We'll see if that changes for 2015.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did this one today, its a good one. Don't want to come off as a prick, but I finished at 16:36 with 15 lbs in vest.
The pull ups were the hardest with that weight on me.
Added another set with dips to finish at 22:45.

Good job man!

I did it in under 20 minutes with my built in 30 pound weight vest (called excess body weight) lol.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On my way back down in weight on my pyramids whether its benchs or whatever I always do my reps to failure, could be only 5 or so on my heaviest weight but sometimes 30 or higher on the lighter weights. Back in the day about once a month or so to generate some growth in arms I used to take a comfortable weight and do DB curls and then one armed raised tricep extensions with a DB and do over 100 reps each exercize for one set. It was painful but it worked. You couldnt do it often and didnt need to. Im too old for that today, dont want to feel pain that bad.

I try to pick a weight that I will fail at or be a rep or two near failure no matter the amount of reps. If I have too much left at the end of that set I will bust out a couple more. My typical workout will be 3-5 sets in the 6-8 rep range all to failure (after some warmup sets).

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll take a look! I maybe running the half marathon in Bentonville, which I think is the same month. But if not, Post Oak sounds good. I need to work on my 10k time. I'm at 51 minutes now and want to get sub 50.

I did 2 miles this morning, at 6:50 and 7:29. After the run less than 12 hours ago, I thought 2 miles would be taking it easy. It wasn't. Legs are complete jelly.

I've really wanted to look into the runngun thing, but I don't have a suitable center fire pistol and rifle for such a task anymore. And I kinda pretty much suck at the rifle distances in that event :D We'll see if that changes for 2015.

Come to an Appleseed event - it'll really help with long range shooting. Get down some basics, and with your run times, you'd do great at a runngun.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last night Leg workout - This was brutal, took a lot out of me and I am a little stiff this morning. I will do this one more time before going back to a more traditional system.

Leg Press
Reps@Weight
50@335
40@360
30@400
20@435
10@545
10@565
20@515
30@465
40@375
50@285
Seated Calf Raises
50@45
40@55
30@75
20@85
10@95
10@95
20@85
30@75
40@55
50@45

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And right after posting this I did two more miles. My feet hurt.... good shoe recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm a fairly big guy at 6'1" 240 lbs. believe it or not I'm in pretty good shape for my size. Most people think I'm 20+ lbs lighter than I am. My feet tend to probate so I need a shoe with stability. I currently have the Saucony Hurricane 13s but am in the market for new ones. I will be getting the Hurricane 16s. My last four pairs have been the Saucony line. Very good shoe for people needing support. I tried probably a dozen different brands/model and the Hurricanes were the one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom