fixed vs. collapsible stocks -ARs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I hesitate to post this here, but I have never found cause to really need a collapsible stock on my AR.

Id like to know what scenarios might I have, where Ill be kicking myself in the arse for not having a 6-pos stock?

I can use the fixed stock fine with body armor (never tried with it with a "tactical" plate carrier vest, though)

I can shoot from each shoulder fine.

Dont see needing to shoot out of a vehicle, no PSD for me.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the collapsibles for the wife, at 5'2" she needs a different LOP than I do at 6'4". It makes the rifles more comfortable for her to shoot. I also like them for hunting when I have about a foot of clothes on to stay warm.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
collapsible stocks are cooler. : without it then, how can I properly accesorize the weapon. just kiddin'. I think it is feng shui

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While the fixed stocks are more robust, you have to figure that if the collapsibles are so fragile, why are they still in use after 40 odd years?

For me they offer flexibility. They're easier to maneuver in and out of tight spaces such as vehicles and interior rooms. In the field they're less prone to snagging on brush. But the big thing for me is fit. I rarely ever run mine at full extension. It's usually one or two clicks in depending on what shooting position I'm in. For close range I find it handles and transitions faster, as the weight is centered closer to the body.

I like to run mine with the stock closer to the chest rather than in the traditional shoulder pocket position. The full length A2 stock puts the receiver too far away to get fast acquisition in that position.

If I were going to run a fixed stock for durability purposes, I'd definitely go with and A1 over the longer A2. JMO, YMMV

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could you explain how an A1 or A2 stock is more of a "snagging hazzard" than a 6 position collapsable stock "in the field"? Never experienced that even in tripple canopy jungles in S.A. I have no use for collapsable stocks and I do shoot out of "cars" quite often...BUT I am tall and have monkey arms. Now what I really detest about them is most of them grab my facial hair and yank a few out every so often....and I just hate that. I have only seen one fail and that was when a real big guy had to do the good old smack the butt on the ground to extract a sticky empty....heck he might have even broke an A1 or A2, but the "snaggy thing" I never herd before. KurtM

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I only use collapsible ones cause my nose can't reach the CH with a fixed stock and also when I put my plate carrier on it would be even longer.

Earlier in the year I almost switched all mine over to the RRA Entry fixed stock which is supposed to be the same length as a collapsible one but couldn't find a good solution to run a single point sling on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom