Fixin' to try out Leatherman's 25 year warranty...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So my oldest daughter married Mighty Joe Young. This boy is 6 foot 5, weighs in around 300 +/- and can eat like he's got a holler leg.

He's strong as an ox and very mechanically inclined. He can fix or build damn near anything, and he loves my little girl as well as I could ever dream.

But...he has these damned gorilla hands. He breaks a lot of things simply by accident. He has a kinda short fuse, but he never takes it out on tools, materials or (God forbid) his wife or kids.

He's owned all kinds of cheap multi tools over the years that lasted him about as long as a popcorn fart in a whirlwind, so he finally bit the bullet and picked up a Leatherman Rebar or Super Tool 300, I can't remember which, but it's pretty robust and heavy duty.

So yesterday, he's using the large slotted screwdriver on it, and it snaps at the hinge.

Has anyone here ever sent a tool back to Leatherman for repair or replacement? What was the turnaround time? He uses it every day, and he can't really afford to buy another one while he waits for his to get fixed/replaced.

Screenshot_20200410-142340_Photos.jpg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, and the experience was great. They ask that you insure it for $100 and send it it with a note describing the damage. I sent them a gen 1 Wave that I had broken the saw blade off of. They were already making the gen 2 and it could not be repaired. They sent me a brand new gen 2.
I started buying broken ones at pawn shops and garage sales. I’ve sent them a few over the years and they come back like new.

CanadianRiverRat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Beats the he!! out of Kershaw knives warranty! I sent a Kershaw with broken blade in, they refused to honor the warranty on it. The blade broke dressing a hog, as I was pushing it in point first to start a hole to begin a cut, they called it a "stabbing motion" which was NOT covered by warrantee due to not being a "cutting motion". So I put it in a box, crapped on it and mailed it back to them.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought some broken Leatherman knives off of eBay and sent them in and they've replaced them without question. sometimes they wouldn't have the parts or same knife so they'd send me another similar new model.
Turn around time is very quick as I remember, maybe three weeks.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I have and just recently too. Had to send in my MUT tool because I broke the pin punch tool off breaking down a stubborn Glock mag. :grumble: Yea, don't do that. :lookaroun

So I went to their website filled out the form, printed it, put it in the box and shipped it back. Got it back a couple of weeks later and it was like a new tool. Adjusted, lubed and I'm pretty sure they even replaced the screwdriver bits too that I didn't request because they weren't broken, just used a bit. You just can't find a way to improve the experience with this repair.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FYI same experience for Gerbers, excellent.

I have a Gerber, just not sure which model it is. It was my former son in laws that he was issued in the army. He had an extra and gave it to me. Love it!

Thanks for everybody's input. We'll get this little feller in the mail and I'll report back with an update when we get it back. :thumb:

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sent a bone scale pocket knife back to Boker to have them replace the little "tree" medallion in the scale.
I've owned it for years and it had great sentimental value since my grandfather gave it to me.

They sent me a replacement knife.
A smaller wood scale knife.
One scale had a crack in it and the spine was spring where the blade would not stay open.

I was furious and asked for my original knife back.
They said they disposed of it and had already sent a replacement.

After going back and forth with them, the faulty replacement went in the trash and I never bought another Boker.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I sent a bone scale pocket knife back to Boker to have them replace the little "tree" medallion in the scale.
I've owned it for years and it had great sentimental value since my grandfather gave it to me.

They sent me a replacement knife.
A smaller wood scale knife.
One scale had a crack in it and the spine was spring where the blade would not stay open.

I was furious and asked for my original knife back.
They said they disposed of it and had already sent a replacement.

After going back and forth with them, the faulty replacement went in the trash and I never bought another Boker.
That stinks. I used to cruise eBay looking for case knives that were missing the shield. Bought them cheap and sent them to case. I’d get a refurbished knife back that was beautiful and had a shield.

Latest posts

Top Bottom