Flood insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It does suck not to be the government. When my grandpa was young person in the 40's he said they lived where camp gruber is now. They got kicked out of there. I think they might have been squatters though. Then the purchased some land where green leaf state park is. They lived there for about 8 months before they were told it was becoming a lake. The government purchased that land. Grandpa said it took about 2 months to build the log cabin and another two months for him and his brother to hand dig a well 18 feet deep and 6 foot across.

By this time they were pretty tired of moving so his father my great grandfather decided they would move to Denver and work long enough to come back and by a price of land outright.

So grandpa started the eighth grade in Denver after completing seventh in braggs Oklahoma. One room for whole school here and a half city block and three stories in denver. He said he didn't know the first digit for the class room number designated what floor the class was on. He did want to ask either. After not being able to make it to about third class on time he found a door that lead outside and went home. Vowed never to go back to school. 18 months later they were. Back in Oklahoma living on 250 acres they bought with good old cash.

Grandpa never did finish school and still lives on his 85 acre portion of that land. They raised 13 kids there and nine of the
Live within 5 miles of there. Gum Springs at the south end of tenkiller lake.

So really it is the governments fault I grew up poor. At least that is how I would think if thought like the majority of the people that believe they are entitled to what you have. I can't imagine being raise any other way. That side of my family is the hardest working Americans I know. I think if grandpa walked down to check the mail and there was a bag full of cash there he would hang it on the mailbox so who ever dropped would be able to find it easier.

Anyways the government has always been that way. At least since the 40's.

I typed all this on my phone sorry for the punctuation and spelling errors.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update: I talked with a surveying company concerning an elevation certificate but never really got anywhere. I then talked with my insurance company (USAA) and they wanted to know what the mortgage company was using to determine the flood risk of my property so I had the mortgage company send me that info.

It was a satellite photo with the flood plain overlay and as it turned out, the flood plain was not near the house and barely got into a corner of my extra garage\shop so USAA wrote out a fairly basic policy and it was MUCH less than I originally anticipated. So I agreed to it and paid them today and they were going to call the mortgage company and fax them the proof of insurance.

So..then USAA called me back and said the mortgage company was no longer requiring me to carry flood insurance!!!! But I decided to keep it anyway since I do have a creek not far from the house and this area has had some flood issues before. I figured the peace of mind was worth the $343 annual premium.

I posted this info in case anyone else might be going through the same issue. You might get lucky as I did.

Latest posts

Top Bottom