Flooding in Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kaw is the same with the rains in Kansas last night bringing in more water.
Inflow, 123,930
Outflow 105,000
Kaw gained a foot since 11 am yesterday.

Here is a chart that shows the Arkansas River watershed showing how rains in Kansas can have an effect about what happens in Oklahoma.
It doesn't' include the smaller feeder creeks like Grouse Creek, Salt Creek, etc.

www.swt_wc.usace.army.mil_images_basins_upperark.gif

They're doing all they can to keep that water out of Keystone and from coming down stream. That poor lake, it's less than 10 feet from the top of the damn now.

I have a friend in Colorado I'm keeping up to date on this. I blamed all their late snow (as recently as last week) for this. He thought I was joking until I reminded him where this river's source is.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're doing all they can to keep that water out of Keystone and from coming down stream. That poo lake, it's less than 10 feet from the top of the damn now.

I have a friend in Colorado I'm keeping up to date on this. I blamed all their late snow (as recently as last week) for this. He thought I was joking until I reminded him where this river's source is.

Exactly. I've caught trout on the Arkansas river in Colorado. Record snows in the mountains will bring up the lakes and streams in colorado that have been suffering for several years now.
Last year I fly fished the Conejos river near Antonito with a guide. About mid afternoon we had to quit fishing because the water temperature was high enough that it would stress the browns and cause fatalities. Low water levels were the cause. The lake that feeds the river was over 30' low and had been for several years. I've checked the levels and the lake is brim full from the snow melt.
Come on July! I'll see that stream again.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do they measure the input?
From what I've gathered, they have gauges on the streams feeding into the lakes and on the upstream lakes, plus they have gauges that tell them the current level of the lake, along with the recorded data from those gauges, which will tell them how fast and how much the lake has risen over time, which tells them how much water has been added over that time.

ODOT has had trucks parked on the Creek Turnpike bridge across the Arkansas for a week or so. I presume they're monitoring the instrumentation on the bridge itself, and I saw one of them out checking the road surface drains on the barriers at the edge of the bridge tonight.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I've gathered, they have gauges on the streams feeding into the lakes and on the upstream lakes, plus they have gauges that tell them the current level of the lake, along with the recorded data from those gauges, which will tell them how fast and how much the lake has risen over time, which tells them how much water has been added over that time.

ODOT has had trucks parked on the Creek Turnpike bridge across the Arkansas for a week or so. I presume they're monitoring the instrumentation on the bridge itself, and I saw one of them out checking the road surface drains on the barriers at the edge of the bridge tonight.

Before retiring I was an instrumentation and controls tech at Sooner Power Plant. One of the things we monitored and calibrated was the lake level gauge.
It was made by Leupold. Yep, the same folks that make rifle and pistol scopes. The company has a storied history.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.17ft from top of surcharge at 1600hrs. Inflow listed at over 300k at 1400hrs an 1500hr. Cutting it close much boys?

It’s at 282 cfs now. Unless they amend it later.

Supposedly exceeding inflow but I expect the inflow to rise after all that Kansas rain starts flowing this way.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s at 282 cfs now. Unless they amend it later.

Supposedly exceeding inflow but I expect the inflow to rise after all that Kansas rain starts flowing this way.
I think we dodged a bullet. The rain event today missed the Kaw/Kansas watershed and the rain from the other day has peaked and is now on the decline for inflow to Kaw. We are just about even for inflow vs outflow.
Inflow, 105960 Outflow, 105040
Friday at 11 am the lake level was at 35.46 when they opened the gates to the current level and flooded the river bottom. It has risen to 37.08 today.(edit: The numbers are above normal lake level) We still cannot get out of our home. 5 days now but plans are in the works to go across pastures tomorrow for a mile or so if they aren't too muddy.
At least we get the receiver tank back from our flooded water well. It floated close enough today I could retrieve it.

aca5536cdfd3bcc661eda2ec99b6a156.jpg

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s sad about your well but I gotta admit I’m amused about the tank.

I get the humor. No foul. :D Probably order a new one anyway for when the water goes down and we can put the well back in service. Currently pumping water from our pool to the bathtub so we can dump into the water closet to flush. Still have electric so the AC is on and I can work in the shop since time is on my side for now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom