Flooding in Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw a short blurb on the Channel 6 app that a Blackhawk was being used to aid in possible levee repairs at 49th and Charles Page Blvd. The article stated that the levee hadn't breached yet, but preparations were being made. Don't know if that means a breach is imminent, but sounds like it could be.

I live just below Keystone Dam, but fortunately not in the flood plain. I'm on vacation this week, and available to help sandbag or do whatever else is necessary. Any suggestions on how to help?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1000hrs and were are 0.35' from top of surcharge and inflow has steadily crept up to 300K. 275K is not going be sustainable for long. 300K is coming faster than even I thought.

And yeah to the person that asked 757' is the top of the surcharge so they cannot allow it to go higher than 757' as it interferes with tainter gate operation as I understand it. At that level they match releases to inflow which right now is 300K

As of now, the outflow now exceeds the inflow, just barely (273,628 in to 275,000 out), with the lake level at 756.92'. Corps cut it closer than a RCH. Let's see what happens when it rains tomorrow.

I personally think they have ZERO confidence in the levees holding up, or else they'd have released more and be releasing more. As you had noted, inflow was over 300k yesterday and they were still releasing at only 255 or 256 or so at that point. I think they're terrified of the 80 year old levees and are afraid to state that explicitly. They already all but said it though, with the evacuations, cutting off of utilities, and calling out the Guard to be on patrol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As of now, the outflow now exceeds the inflow, just barely (273,628 in to 275,000 out), with the lake level at 756.92'. Corps cut it closer than a RCH. Let's see what happens when it rains tomorrow.

I personally think they have ZERO confidence in the levees holding up, or else they'd have released more and be releasing more. As you had noted, inflow was over 300k yesterday and they were still releasing at only 255 or 256 or so at that point. I think they're terrified of the 80 year old levees and are afraid to state that explicitly. They already all but said it though, with the evacuations, cutting off of utilities, and calling out the Guard to be on patrol.
I wouldn't want to be one of the NG troops patrolling those levees.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Photo I shot with my drone this evening. No riding dirt bikes below the dam today...

Keystone.JPG

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Especially seeing the Corps just amended the last two hours of data, which made me into a liar:

20:00 283233 in 275000 out
21:00 283233 in 275000 out

Still on the rise...

Kaw is the same with the rains in Kansas last night bringing in more water.
Inflow, 123,930
Outflow 105,000
Kaw gained a foot since 11 am yesterday.

Here is a chart that shows the Arkansas River watershed showing how rains in Kansas can have an effect about what happens in Oklahoma.
It doesn't' include the smaller feeder creeks like Grouse Creek, Salt Creek, etc.

www.swt_wc.usace.army.mil_images_basins_upperark.gif

Latest posts

Top Bottom