Folding knife suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I'm not a very good sharpener, maybe I should stay away for the s30v. Or maybe I'm thinking this through too much.

Honestly, you can get a Lansky and sharpen them good enough (Get Diamond Course/Medium stones, and natural Med/fine/ultra-fine stones). There are Youtube Videos that show you how to properly use a Lansky - if you plan on using your knife, you'll definitely have to be able to jump in and take a stone to it.

You could go Full Tilt and get some DMT stones and free-hand it - check out SolosKnifeReviews (4 part video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNwP-2xBphI

If you want something along the lines of a knife the size of the Para-2 (slightly heavier, thicker blade-stock, wider-scales) but that still has a compression lock and similar feel (but in easy to sharpen VG-10 steel), check out the Superleaf. Mine gets a lot of pocket-time despite its unnecessarily large handle.

OKWalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker that I have successfully used; if that will work well enough then I will be OK.

How do you feel that the Endura compares to the Paramilitary 2?

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of these steels will sharpen just fine. The high performance powder steels with high rockwell hardnesses (S30V, 154CM, CPM-M4, ZDP-189, etc...) just take more passes and a bit more time and patience when sharpening. So it just depends on your preferences. I enjoy sharpening knives so it's a non issue with me, you might be different.

And I do agree with ez bake on VG-10 steel. That is my favorite EDC steel. For me it strikes the perfect balance, you should definitely check it out if you have sharpening concerns with s30v.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker that I have successfully used; if that will work well enough then I will be OK.

How do you feel that the Endura compares to the Paramilitary 2?

The Sharpmaker is good to go - you'll want to get a set of Diamond rods for S30V or pick up some various grits of Metal-specific sand paper or Emory paper and wrap them in it (lots of folks seem to have good luck with that on their ZDP-189, D2, and S30V blades).

I like the Endura - it's a good knife, but it's not in the same ball-park as the Para/Superleaf (IMHO). The Endura has a slightly thinner blade, FRN handle (which is not a bad thing at all - the 4th gens are very grippy). The 4th gens also have Stainless liners, previous version had (I believe) no liners. You can get a waved version - which is kind of cool (I had a waved Delica - they're pretty well designed). I used to hate back-lock knives, but I now own several and appreciate them for what they are. Again, in my opinion, the Compression lock is far better (especially if you're right-handed - for lefties, not so much).

The Delica also has no choil (I'm a fan of choils - lots of folks aren't - if you're not, then the Para/Superleaf probably aren't for you - you loose a little cutting edge with the choil in the tang-end of the blade, but that has never bothered me personally).

I don't own an Endura anymore though - I prefer a slightly smaller knife (I love the Delica).

Its a much cheaper option if you don't mind the lack of choil, slightly thinner blade, and back-lock.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Native 5 is on my short list. I would love to own one, but after pre-ordering two different Para-2 Sprint Runs, pre-ordering a ZT 0561, and buying a bunch of goodies for Christmas, its getting harder and harder to justify purchases to the wife :)

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My wife loves good knives, so its a non issue here, that also includes my son an daughter. Yeap a whole house full of gun an knife nuts. As to carry; I'm left handed, an through hard use have found liner lock blades to be unfriendly. A hard enough grip wll disable the lock, so I prefer a spine lock like on most of the Spyderco knives, With their new divit cut into the lock release, its almost impossible to unlock via pressure from the grip. All my carry knives have this. As to sharping a blade, I only use(for plane edge) a double sided stone, an a razor strop. For my serrated Spyderco blades I use there sharpening tools, and a small set of mild files. I don't use the blades for everyday chores, thats why I carry a VSAK Huntsman, or a Leatherman Wave.

Latest posts

Top Bottom