Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m seeing the same thing.
We have a 60% chance of rain in our area tonight after 1am, then more rain over the weekend and the next few days afterward, so that should germinate the rest of the seeds. I've got two drills, but it's just an acre so I just use the three point spreader while dragging an old spring tooth behind it to cover up what it will.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For anyone serious about food plots, I would recommend a Land Pride “overseeder”. It does a great job and is super easy to use. I’ve used it on prepared ground and seeded over existing grass, and it works well either way. I originally bought it to plant winter pasture for my cows, but it’s now serving a dual purpose. I plant about 3 acres today on some lease land beside my place here in TX.

This unit is similar to the Firminator and PlotMaster machines.

Attachments

• B626A143-0BDD-4C25-AE19-7195BB97B4EB.jpeg
    B626A143-0BDD-4C25-AE19-7195BB97B4EB.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 352

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For anyone serious about food plots, I would recommend a Land Pride “overseeder”. It does a great job and is super easy to use. I’ve used it on prepared ground and seeded over existing grass, and it works well either way. I originally bought it to plant winter pasture for my cows, but it’s now serving a dual purpose. I plant about 3 acres today on some lease land beside my place here in TX.

This unit is similar to the Firminator and PlotMaster machines.
You could rent it out to a couple of us here. Lol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could rent it out to a couple of us here. Lol.

Contact your local county NRCS or FSA office to see what type of equipment they rent. Buddy rents the no-till drill from them. Mows, sprays, and a couple weeks later plants. I used it last year and it worked great. They have a drop-off fee per mile which isn't much and charge per acre. Had to gear down the 35hp diesel tractor to walking speed, but it pulled it well.
Only did a couple acres this year, so just did it the old way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom