Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My clover field is still doing well and drawing the deer in. This cooler weather may get another week or two out of it before growth slows to dormancy, but my spring/summer food plots are up and going strong, so the deer won’t miss out on anything.

449ACF4C-EE50-4616-BAD3-543BB358F58C.jpeg
48C373D9-8F6A-4B45-90FB-38DF7013A568.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t have any recent pics but mowed my clover patch Sunday. Got some Johnson grass growing in it with immature seed heads. Really need to spray it but don’t have the time to get chemicals in. Didn’t know how bad it was getting because the wheat was maturing and didn’t want to drive in there.
The clover was full of seed heads so set the brush hog to mow just over top.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My food plots are doing great. If we get this rain this weekend and next week, they should be set for a while.

And I’m surprised how active my ladino clover still is. This weather will certainly keep it going longer.

View attachment 211068 View attachment 211069 View attachment 211070 View attachment 211071 View attachment 211072 View attachment 211073
This has been the greatest spring ever to start food plots. Cool spring, lots of rain and the rain into summer continues. 👍

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This has been the greatest spring ever to start food plots. Cool spring, lots of rain and the rain into summer continues. 👍
It has been good. And the best advice I’ve gotten from this forum is you suggesting I get some ladino clover going. Glad I got that in last fall.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It has been good. And the best advice I’ve gotten from this forum is you suggesting I get some ladino clover going. Glad I got that in last fall.
My new expansion is doing well too.
I've tried clover many times in the past. Summers in my area didn’t support growth as it was too dry. Sustained drought for 3 years.
Now with one plot established and deep rooting, goes dormant in summer but comes back in the fall. Spreads seed all spring.
It’s nice to not need an annual disking, planting, etc. 😁

Latest posts

Top Bottom