Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got a big job coming up out of state, so I won’t be around for most of September. Would it be too early to go ahead and plant my wheat plots in the next couple weeks?
Perfect time to plant wheat.
I’ve always planted as close to Sept 1 as possible to get ready for bow season.
A bonus time to put some turnip seed in as well if you like to eat them like we do.

Given enough rain and no army worms, the wheat will be lush on October 1.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just logged on to see what you guys thought about the army worms this year. I usually try to plant first week of September. Always an awesome rain that week it seems. I’m thinking that if the worms do take the plots out I can just re seed end of October and have it going good in a couple weeks. I think the deer prefer the new early growth of wheat and oats anyways. What’s y’alls opinion?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I just logged on to see what you guys thought about the army worms this year. I usually try to plant first week of September. Always an awesome rain that week it seems. I’m thinking that if the worms do take the plots out I can just re seed end of October and have it going good in a couple weeks. I think the deer prefer the new early growth of wheat and oats anyways. What’s y’alls opinion?
If schedule and time isn't an issue, given the forecast I'd wait. Depends on location in the state too. Army worms eating off seedlings that just germinated a few days prior is different that cattle or deer grazing on established wheat. Worms eat it down to the dirt and the newly germinated plant dies. Depending on rain, 4-8 weeks after germination usually before a producer will turn cattle out to graze.

Refugee

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, just finished reading all these great posts about food plots! I recently purchased 140 acres near Wanette and my family and I will be moving from (escaping) California in June. I'm a fifth generation farmer here and have some background with equipment, etc. I can't wait to get started working my ground and getting plots started next year. Here are some pics of the current grasses and weeds growing in the largest open area. Thanks again for all the great info! PXL_20210729_201307516.jpgPXL_20210729_202730677.jpgPXL_20210730_011706930.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, just finished reading all these great posts about food plots! I recently purchased 140 acres near Wanette and my family and I will be moving from (escaping) California in June. I'm a fifth generation farmer here and have some background with equipment, etc. I can't wait to get started working my ground and getting plots started next year. Here are some pics of the current grasses and weeds growing in the largest open area. Thanks again for all the great info!View attachment 223235View attachment 223236View attachment 223237
Welcome to OK and congrats on escaping the coast. Not sure which part of CA you're moving from but I can almost be certain you'll have more rainfall in the Wanette area. What do you farm in CA?

Refugee

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Refuge - If you want some assistance in developing a winning food plot then please let me know.
I definitely will! Thank you!

As an aside, I want to share with you how incredible it is to find how friendly and helpful everyone I've met in Oklahoma can be. People ask me all the time, usually with a turned up nose, why I am moving there. My response is always the same; First, because it is America there, and second, the people are salt of the earth.

Refugee

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to OK and congrats on escaping the coast. Not sure which part of CA you're moving from but I can almost be certain you'll have more rainfall in the Wanette area. What do you farm in CA?
We farm almonds, walnuts and apricots. We are from Tracy, which is near Stockton and Modesto. (It's a sh$&hole). It wasn't always, but it most definitely is now. I'm looking forward to rain, hail, and the lightning shows!

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to OK! And don't leave the tornados off your list - they're a sight to see assuming you're not running for the storm shelter!

Be sure and read the 'Buck forage oats & 4x4 mix' thread. Several on here are seasoned food plotters and others like me are just learning but some great advice and people here to help out.

Refugee

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to OK! And don't leave the tornados off your list - they're a sight to see assuming you're not running for the storm shelter!

Be sure and read the 'Buck forage oats & 4x4 mix' thread. Several on here are seasoned food plotters and others like me are just learning but some great advice and people here to help out.
Yes, I can't wait to catch a glimpse of one of those! My Mom's side of the family is from Konawa, so I am kind of coming home by moving to OK. They were typical dust bowlers. I read the Buck Forage and 4x4 thread as well. Very informational.

I'm hoping to get out there the second week in October to sit in a ground blind and catch a glimpse of a deer. I bought my tags, next year they will be considerably cheaper when I'm a resident. My sons and I will definitely be out for rifle season as well. I just hope we don't spoil a good hunt by shooting something...

Latest posts

Top Bottom