Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Refugee

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Greetings, I have a question about aerated septic systems and using the water for a food plot. We are getting ready to build a new home, and I have the opportunity to pick what type of septic system I want; traditional with leech lines, or an aerated system. An aerated system gives me the benefit of having a water source year round. My thought is to run a pipe from the system (downhill of course) to an area that I had been planning on planting a food plot. In addition to providing a water source year round, the recycled water should be high in nutrients (I haven't been able to find anything on the web to confirm this). My plan is to run PVC down to the area, and then either use a booster pump and run a few sprinklers, or run it through a manifold to distribute the water more evenly. Has anyone out there done something like this before? See any potential pitfalls?

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings, I have a question about aerated septic systems and using the water for a food plot. We are getting ready to build a new home, and I have the opportunity to pick what type of septic system I want; traditional with leech lines, or an aerated system. An aerated system gives me the benefit of having a water source year round. My thought is to run a pipe from the system (downhill of course) to an area that I had been planning on planting a food plot. In addition to providing a water source year round, the recycled water should be high in nutrients (I haven't been able to find anything on the web to confirm this). My plan is to run PVC down to the area, and then either use a booster pump and run a few sprinklers, or run it through a manifold to distribute the water more evenly. Has anyone out there done something like this before? See any potential pitfalls?
I have an aerobic system with 3 sprinkler heads. I would think the system would be great for an established food plot. A perennial crop like ladino clover would be best so that you do not have to worry about tilling the plot over and over, dodging sprinkler heads.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good thinking, and great way to recycle water. Agree with Undeg01 that ladino clover would be a great food plot especially in the summertime and during drought periods like Oklahoma is going through currently when the clover goes dormant. The supplemental water would keep it growing. The supply line to the discharge heads would have to be buried below the frost line as I'm sure you know already.
One thought I haven't researched is how much nitrogen does wastewater produce? Clover typically needs little to zero nitrogen fertilizer. The P and K is what clover is fertilized with.
You might research that.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Good thinking, and great way to recycle water. Agree with Undeg01 that ladino clover would be a great food plot especially in the summertime and during drought periods like Oklahoma is going through currently when the clover goes dormant. The supplemental water would keep it growing. The supply line to the discharge heads would have to be buried below the frost line as I'm sure you know already.
One thought I haven't researched is how much nitrogen does wastewater produce? Clover typically needs little to zero nitrogen fertilizer. The P and K is what clover is fertilized with.
You might research that.
Everyone in his family could double up or triple up on the multi vitamins for the P and K :) :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone in his family could double up or triple up on the multi vitamins for the P and K :) :)
Heck I may be overthinking it, but it would be interesting to see how that would work.
If it works for him, instead of peeing out the back door where the grass is dead, might have to put in a collection barrel to take to the food plot? :laugh6:
Wait! It kills bermuda. Maybe not the best idea.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heck I may be overthinking it, but it would be interesting to see how that would work.
If it works for him, instead of peeing out the back door where the grass is dead, might have to put in a collection barrel to take to the food plot? :laugh6:
@Timmy59 has a recipe for pee pee fertilizer.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an aerobic system with 3 sprinkler heads. I would think the system would be great for an established food plot. A perennial crop like ladino clover would be best so that you do not have to worry about tilling the plot over and over, dodging sprinkler heads.
It is not recommended primarily because of E-Coli concerns. Here is a link to read Benefits and Concerns Associated with Aerobic Treatment Systems (ATS) - Oklahoma State University

Might want to contact your local ag extension office and get some input from them.

Refugee

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is not recommended primarily because of E-Coli concerns. Here is a link to read Benefits and Concerns Associated with Aerobic Treatment Systems (ATS) - Oklahoma State University

Might want to contact your local ag extension office and get some input from them.
The article mainly warns against using the water to grow food for human consumption, and in a way that results in human contact. My idea would only grow deer food, in this case the clover idea shared by others.

Next thing they are going to tell me is not to drink out of my garden hose. 😀

Latest posts

Top Bottom