Food Plots!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Now is a great time to get you soil checked. It will same you lots of money on fertilizer. Plus it make your food plots taste better for the local wildlife.

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now is a great time to get you soil checked. It will same you lots of money on fertilizer. Plus it make your food plots taste better for the local wildlife.

where do you take your soil to get it tested? also to answer a previous question I try to plant between the last week of august and first week of september and pray for rain. some years it works out better than others. I also put out mineral blocks not far from the food plots. I find that on year the food plots dont do so well the mineral blocks work pretty well.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You can contact OSU or the ag commission for soil test... I would plant peas in mid September and Oats and Wheat in the middle of October. That's my plan.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
where do you take your soil to get it tested? also to answer a previous question I try to plant between the last week of august and first week of september and pray for rain. some years it works out better than others. I also put out mineral blocks not far from the food plots. I find that on year the food plots dont do so well the mineral blocks work pretty well.

county soil conservation office.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The local farmers COOP will provide bags for soil samples. The ones around here, send them to OSU to be tested. Its less than $10 to get a soil analysis.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Noble Foundation also will help you with soil tests. If you are within a certain distance (100 mi I think) they don't charge anything. I have found them to be one of the greatest resources around. They have very knowledgeable, friendly people that will help with everything from gardens, crops, food plots, to fisheries and wildlife management. And a lot of their help is free. Excellent organization.

http://noble.org/Ag/Cooperators/index.html

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can also take your soil sample to any OSU County Extension agent and pay $10.00 for the test. Be sure to tell the agent in writing what you are planning on planting so that OSU can correctly inform you about whether you need to add lime to the plots.
I have been planting food plots for close to 30 years and have given classes on how to properly plant a successful food plot. One of the best suggestions I can give you is to plant in late September. WHY????? because your moisture content is higher, your nights are cooler and your chances of additional rain is greater therefore you have little chance of failure. The biggest mistake I have seen people commit is plant too early and then pray for rain. You get the rain and some of the seed germinates then the weather turns hot again and everything dies. BEEN THERE DONE THAT!! You have spent alot of time and money getting things ready then you shoot yourself in the foot because you planted too early. Its your money to waste. The deer know something is happening on the food plot fields. They will investigate on the first night you till or disc. They will know. Planting in early October will allow the deer to find the fresh shoots before the acorns fall. When the acorns fall the deer are going to leave the food plots anyway. They will browsw it some but they will be in the nuts. The food plots are really the best during rifle season and December.

Your deer mineral should be out in February when the does need the extra minerals to help in their gestation period and the bucks need it for rack building. The deer back off their mineral needs normally by late July. The fawns dropped in May- June and they and their mothers will use some mineral during this period. The main need is during February to late July. It is good to have some out year round. If you plan on using mineral licks year round then put out only enough for the deer to consume over a 2 month period? Why you ask? because the minerals are encapsulated and the sunlight/UV will break down the encapsulation and the minerals will lose their potency.
I have been a field tester for the Whitetail Institute for many years and get to trial new blends each year and I have seen some great products that get scrapped for 1 reason or the other. When WINA puts out a product it has been tested extensively throughout the US by the field testers like myself and it will do great things for your deer if you follow instructions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom