For single malt lovers....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, the tax is I think 1.5%, so it's not really worth their trouble most of the time. According to the US CUstoms page, there is no hard and fast limit of what is allowed, only what you can bring back duty-free. I don't give a damn about paying taxes on it... I got a good enough deal, they could really hit me for it, and I wouldn't care.

When you say you are bringing a case back, are you talking like from a cruise ship? We are flying, so I'm trying to figure out how to pack it all in our bags. I don't want to "check" a case as a bag, because I'm going to pay for it 3 times as an additional bag, first on Liat, then on Jet Blue, then on Southwest. Oh wait... no, Southwest, gives us more baggage. But then, stupid ABLE commission would nail us for bringing it back once we land in Tulsa, probably.

Anyways, so, we have a few bottles of beer and local soda my wife wants to bring, plus 3 liters of local rum as gifts and personal use, and I will probably try to pack in 6-9 bottles of my Scotch. It just all depends on the weight of our bags, I guess.

Just checked, and looks like if we bring back one extra bag, it's about US$100 total with all the legs we'd have to pay for.... I think that's my best option, distribute all the bottles through 4 checked bags. Honestly, I don't think anyone gives enough of a shite to bother with just enough bottles to be in checked bags.
Flying back with it. Cases vary according to the bottle size. Some 6, some 4.
In St Maartin they sold Crown Royal in fifths for $7 a bottle in the tax free zone. Compared to what it costs in the US, I would suggest leaving all the socks, underwear and cheap shirts. lol.
At the time we did that, there was only a 50 or 60 lb max on baggage and you could have two. This was prior to the airlines getting so crappy about luggage.
Going into Miami customs, they looked at all the bottles in the luggage and asked WTF? When I told them it was Crown, they just smiled and passed us. Never opened the bags.
Brought back a case of 6, rum from St Kitts make locally from cane sugar, customs just waved us through.
Took a tequilla tour from Puerto Vallarta getting some hi end tequilla to bring home, same deal.
Never been an issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom