For single malt lovers....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I love me some single malt. Balvenie Doublewood is my favorite "everyday" kinda Scotch, although it has gotten a little high for everyday use. I am paying usually about $55 a bottle in Tulsa. Only slightly cheaper anymore is the Glenmorangie Lasanta, I can get this for $48-50/bottle in Tulsa. Prices where I live in Bartlesville are slightly higher for both.

So.... last year on vacation I found this:

balob.1993-540x708.jpg

I only bought a bottle of it and when I got it home and opened it I was AMAZED. It was incredible! I fell in love.

I did some research and found it online a VERY few places for sale, running up to about $300/bottle. This is just for the rarity, it was bottled in 2006 and is now essentially gone. There is a 20-year version of the Portwood for sale at over $200/bottle retail, but the 1993 is GONE. Long gone. Only really available from people who kept some back.

So.... this liquor store I found has some that has been sitting since 2006, apparently. Their prices are the same as 11 years ago and NO ONE apparently drinks Balvenie down here. The only Scotch the gets dranked up here is Johnny Walker (blech!) and they think JW Black is the epitome of Scotch. I did see ONE bar with some Chivas on the shelf. <smh>

Anyways... like I said, their prices are crazy good on this stuff. Macallan, Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie Lasanta, Nectar d'Or, Quita Ruban, etc., all about the same or very minimally cheaper than the US.

But my Balvenie... when converted, about $35 per bottle - WITH VAT (tax).

So.... I am the proud new owner of 3 cases of the Balvenie 1993 Portwood. That's 18 bottles. W00T!

:hey3:

Am I gonna sell any of it????

NOT A CHANCE!!! lol

I can bring back a few bottles, packed in my luggage. Maybe 6-8 bottles max, and the rest will have to sit here at my sister-in-law's house until I come back, or when people come up to visit they can bring a couple of bottles at a time. But I figured better for it to sit untouched here than to sit in the liquor store's back room and risk some other passerby discovering my trove of porty, sweet goodness and buying them out from under me!

I think they have a few left, too... Maybe 5 or 6 bottles, but for now, this will have to do.

Just had to share. :Heya:

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going to Cozumel in a few months and will bring back a few bottles of either tequila or mezcal that you can't get in the US and maybe....just maybe a few good smokes. Do I hear Cohiba??!! Gotta make sure that I buy REAL Cubans and not the counterfeit ones!!!

Sure wish I liked Scotch but can't do it. The closets I can muster is a blend like Johnnie Walker. As I write this I'm enjoying George Dickel Rye and Seven-Up on the rocks.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I love a good scotch !! unfortunately it leaves me feeling like I was run over the next day!! Glenfeddich is wonderful, so every once in a while I buy a bottle and have at it!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Going to Cozumel in a few months and will bring back a few bottles of either tequila or mezcal that you can't get in the US and maybe....just maybe a few good smokes. Do I hear Cohiba??!! Gotta make sure that I buy REAL Cubans and not the counterfeit ones!!!

Every time we go to the Carib, and find a deal on local alcohol, we buy a case and put it right on top of the cart going into customs getting back into the states. You're only allowed one liter per destination per person on your travels if I remember right. The Customs folks just wave us through. Too much paperwork to get a few bucks in taxes.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every time we go to the Carib, and find a deal on local alcohol, we buy a case and put it right on top of the cart going into customs getting back into the states. You're only allowed one liter per destination per person on your travels if I remember right. The Customs folks just wave us through. Too much paperwork to get a few bucks in taxes.

Yeah, the tax is I think 1.5%, so it's not really worth their trouble most of the time. According to the US CUstoms page, there is no hard and fast limit of what is allowed, only what you can bring back duty-free. I don't give a damn about paying taxes on it... I got a good enough deal, they could really hit me for it, and I wouldn't care.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol said:
There is no federal limit on the amount of alcohol a traveler may import into the U.S. for personal use, however, large quantities might raise the suspicion that the importation is for commercial purposes, and a CBP officer could require the importer to obtain an Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) import license (which is required for all commercial importations) before releasing it. A general rule of thumb is that 1 case of alcohol is a personal use quantity - although travelers are still subject to state restrictions which may allow less.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/kw/alcohol

When you say you are bringing a case back, are you talking like from a cruise ship? We are flying, so I'm trying to figure out how to pack it all in our bags. I don't want to "check" a case as a bag, because I'm going to pay for it 3 times as an additional bag, first on Liat, then on Jet Blue, then on Southwest. Oh wait... no, Southwest, gives us more baggage. But then, stupid ABLE commission would nail us for bringing it back once we land in Tulsa, probably.

Anyways, so, we have a few bottles of beer and local soda my wife wants to bring, plus 3 liters of local rum as gifts and personal use, and I will probably try to pack in 6-9 bottles of my Scotch. It just all depends on the weight of our bags, I guess.

Just checked, and looks like if we bring back one extra bag, it's about US$100 total with all the legs we'd have to pay for.... I think that's my best option, distribute all the bottles through 4 checked bags. Honestly, I don't think anyone gives enough of a shite to bother with just enough bottles to be in checked bags.

Latest posts

Top Bottom