Forget BOBs and SHTF situations, how about PSKs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd take out the stoves, too. I would keep whatever metal container you planned on cooking in.

For water purification have you thought about using resublimated iodine crystals?

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
get one of those spark blasters of whatever they are called. you can use them one handed, and that might be all you have in SHTF situation.most of your gear also should be able to use one handed too.some tin cans of tuna with new pull top cannot be opened one handed. try out your stuff one handed, and with weak hand too.you never know when you might be injured.you cant use SS (stainless steel) knife for flint spark making, its too hard, the sparks come from the steel ,not the flint.broken hacksaw blade works good wrap with duck tape too.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
get one of those spark blasters of whatever they are called. you can use them one handed, and that might be all you have in SHTF situation.most of your gear also should be able to use one handed too.some tin cans of tuna with new pull top cannot be opened one handed. try out your stuff one handed, and with weak hand too.you never know when you might be injured.you cant use SS (stainless steel) knife for flint spark making, its too hard, the sparks come from the steel ,not the flint.broken hacksaw blade works good wrap with duck tape too.

Cheap or old metal files are supposed to work well with flint, too.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's the advantage of flint over say a magnesium fire-starter? I hear a lot of folks swear by flint over anything else, but I've not seen it used by most of the people I know (possibly out of laziness or convenience of magnesium).

I'd really like to see some resources on starting a fire with flint to be honest - its a skill that's probably very useful to know (I've tested the bow-drill like Les Stroud uses, with the properly cut wood and a bearing block, its still a B!@#$ to get started, but it works - but I've never been able to get flint started).

the magnesium will not last as long as a flint and steel or metal match most folks do not consider other details like building a low smoke fire or even carrying tinfoil. depending on what the SHTF situation is you really don't want to be making fires you can cook a bunch of stuff in tinfoil just sitting in the sun. it's nice to have the supplies but if some doesn't know what to do once they get in the woods it is pretty much a lost battle and I am not saying you don't know what you are doing but alot of people just buy the stuff and really don't know much else. since I have met you a few times in the past and had time to sit and chat for a bit and I believe that you are the kind of guy that would take the time to learn the skills needed to make it through a bad situation. I know a few guys who like this site but I really haven't taken the time to read it all yet.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well - let me first say that this isn't a BOB or a SHTF situation bag, just a basic minimalist survival kit (which I've already pack-ratted into much more than it should be and I'm working on my minimalist practices/skills, so its a good exercise).

I'm not looking at lasting several months during the end of the world with this - just a few days to a few weeks at most (and for my starting out, I'm looking at places in and around OK that I've already hiked/camped to test it out).

I'm no survivalist expert, but I'm an avid Backpacker / hiker / camper and I can do ok in most moderate circumstances so I'm trying to put together something a little more challenging for myself (and possibly learn some minimalist skills as well).

Even as a backpacker, I'm still a pack-rat when it comes to dragging along everything I can "just in case" and I'll admit that I'm a terrible minimalist - I always like to have a few luxuries when on the trail, but I rarely take stuff out of the pack to save weight in order to compensate for my luxuries.

Jon3830 - thanks for the links and advice man. I'm interested in learning several of the skills necessary for survival (no matter what the situation), but I'm trying to keep it in baby-steps right now - I'll definitely read those links though man.

I've picked up on a few things over the years (like I said, the fire-bow was just to see if I could do it, but I can start a fire with more than a few obstacles and have learned a few tricks out on the trails). I've got iodine, chlorine tablets, a water-filter (3 actually) and have boiled water for purification in the past, so all the chemical options are in the PSK and I'm thinking about including the stove and removing the filter (the stove is the home-made super-cat stove and is tiny).

Definitely going to remove the food and lots of stuff that I ordinarily include in the pack for backpacking since this needs to fit in a very small container that you would keep on you (several of the kits in the ESEE forums fit in a wallet/Altoids-tin/bandanna).

I'll post up a pic and final list when I get it done and backyard tested and then I plan on taking it out and attempting to use it as much as possible in maybe a 3-4 day hike.

I like this time of year because of the reduced amount of bugs and snakes, so it might be the best time to test this stuff out.

Oh and the handcuff key is from some of the ESEE kits I've seen where the guys are in hostile areas in jungles and such where the possibility of getting captured by bad-guys is actually real. Its part utilitarian/useful, and part superstitious.

Latest posts

Top Bottom