Forget BOBs and SHTF situations, how about PSKs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you cant use SS (stainless steel) knife for flint spark making, its too hard, the sparks come from the steel ,not the flint.

I don't guess I understand this. SS isn't harder than carbon steel in most cases and I'm not super-familiar with using flint to make a spark - can you explain further?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That's a good read man - I've read about the properties of iron before and some of the principles of flint-starting, but that was a really good breakdown.

I'll probably look for an older piece of high-carbon steel and some flint and try this in my back yard, but for my minimalist kit, I think I'll stick with the magnesium fire-starter (since its more compact and I'm only looking for something to last me a few weeks at most for the purposes of this kit - and weight is key).

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An old metal file or a cheap new one and almost any rock can produce a spark. For spark based fire making, I think a ferocerium rod is the way to go.

Steel wool, 000 or 0000, is also a good for getting a fire started. It can be ignited with a spark or even a battery.

Latest posts

Top Bottom