Frog Gigging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love me some frog's legs, but unfortunately they're a bit of an expensive delicacy for me. Apparently, you can catch up to 15 bullfrogs a day with an Oklahoma fishing license, so I'm really interested in catching some of my own.

Does anyone know some good places that aren't private land in the Oklahoma/Cleveland county area? Is it too late in the year to go giggin'? I've never done this before, so any input would be appreciated.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love me some frog legs.
Nobody does it anymore to speak of.
Find a public municipal lake or stream, use a boat with oars or trolling motor and a good spotlight with a spot in the beam. The intensity of the spot is what will keep the frog from moving.
Find some weed beds back in coves or under tree stumps etc. slip up on the set of eyes and gig em. You can scan the cove with a spotlight at night and see the eyes shining. Take the bigguns, and leave the little ones for another season.

If you want to frog hunt in the daytime, you will have to use a .22 pistol or rifle(with a hunting license) and use binoculars to look in shady areas, or under cut banks, grass overhangs, etc. With the naked eye you can't see them, but the binoculars bring them out like a spotlight in the daylight.

An OSA member (Viking) and I did the daytime thing a couple of years ago on farm ponds. Pics are on the forum somewhere. I'll try to look for them tomorrow.

If you want to really get serious, find a creek that is on public land, get your spotlight, gig and gunny sack. Walk down the middle of the creek starting around 11pm, spotlighting as you go.
Expect just about every critter in that creek to brush your legs or torso because your light will attract bugs, and bugs are food for creek critters. Walk along and gig your frogs.
Its pretty fun and the eating afterward is the reward.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm, I just might have to try that...

huntdrop.com_uploads_hunts_frog_legs_on_the_menu.jpg

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anytime I see one when I am out fishing, I will toss a plastic worm close by. They gobble them up with both hands, set the hook.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In high school, I used to go out a few times every summer with my Ruger .22/45 and walk the creek. I'd have about 5 or 6 big suckers in about a half hour. I was eating at Red Rock the other night and had their buffalo shrimp and thought that if I ever do a frog-fry again I might try to make a few buffalo style just for kicks (pun intended). Of course served with ranch, I don't know whose idea it was to ruin buffalo sauce with blue cheese.

Latest posts

Top Bottom