Furlough notice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/AFGE916
The furlough negotiations for AFMC employees are complete. It looks like the earliest that the furlough notices will be given out to employees will be Friday, March 22. The furloughs themselves will begin April 21. More to come.

Part 2: Employees will be able to request their desired furlough days in a process similar to scheduling annual leave (SCD). All employees must serve 16-20 hours in each of the first 2 pay periods. More to come.

Part 3: An employee may request to serve the furlough all at once minus the frist 2 pay period provision. An employee may also request to serve the furlough in amounts greater than the 16-20 hours per pay period but less than the total furlough time.

Part 4: One caveat to employees picking their own days. If Organization commanders determine that scheduling could lead to detrimental degradation of mission operations, they can determine organization-wide scheduling of furlough days. They have to be able to justify this action and can't just arbitrarily change it.

Part 5: There is much more to this agreement (6 pages). . Please come to our events on March 20.

Sounds like its going to be a big mess. 6 pages to the agreement!

I hate that the Union has anything to do with it. I'm not unionized and feel they should have no input on how this furlough affects me.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be curious how much money has been wasted on this cluster**** so far ... What a mess ...

A lot. I have to propose an FY budget for my program, along with many other folks here doing the same thing. Every week over the past 2-3 months, we seem to get a tasker requesting "what-if" cuts, effects of cuts, can we cut more, mission impacts. It's just a lot of the same stuff over and over for something that may or may not happen. Powerpoint slides, spreadsheets, briefings - it's quite the goat rope. Or Charlie Foxtrot, whatever you want to call it.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boss sent this out, not sure where he got it:

Pentagon Delays Sending Furlough Notices to Civilian Workforce

American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, March 21, 2013 – Pentagon officials have put off sending furlough notices to civilian employees until they’ve had a chance to analyze how pending legislation that would fund the federal government for the rest of the fiscal year will affect the Defense Department.

Officials now estimate that furlough notices will go out on or about April 5, Navy Cmdr. Leslie Hull-Ryde, a Pentagon spokeswoman, said.

“The legislation could have some impact on the overall number of furlough days, but no decisions have been reached, especially since the legislation hasn’t been signed into law,” Hull-Ryde said. “The number of furlough days at this point remains at 22.”

Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said the delay makes sense. "We believe the delay is a responsible step to take in order to assure our civilian employees that we do not take lightly the prospect of furloughs and the resulting decrease in employee pay," he said.

Apparently 1 day a week isn't painful enough for the Big Boss Man, let's stall until we have to cram in 2 days a week for a 40% pay cut. yay.

fustigate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I've been working for myself for too long.

Pay cut = same work, less pay = sucks.

Lay off = really sucks.

Furlough = a day off to get stuff done. I'm sorry if your time is worth more in tax dollars than in "free market". If you are going to spend the day off watching TV - that's all you deserve. I wish I had a weekday off to work on MY house, or MY car, or further MY education .... This is a free country - nobody makes you work for the government; if you think your time is worth more and you can be more productive - get a job in private sector; Oklahoma has one of the nation's lowest unemployment rates. Furlough sucks only if YOU make it suck.

And, yes, being raised in Soviet Union, I do find government employees complain about the government very amusing.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Furlough does not = just a day off to get stuff done.

Furlough = forced day off with no pay.

One day a week = 20% loss of income, which means I wish I had my mandatory unpaid weekday off to work on MY house, or MY car, or further MY education, but:
Less money= less or no home/car/education projects.

Latest posts

Top Bottom