Furlough notice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a mandatory 30 notification period before they can start the furlough...hence the letters. DoD is planning on starting them on 22 April.

Yeah, but some folks got their "notices" over a week ago. 30 days doesn't equal 22 April...not even from next Monday.

I think they are stalling is all I'm saying. Some stalling is good...gives our "leaders" (using that loosley) time to figure out budget deal. But I really think they didn't get the reaction they were hoping for.

blckthree

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The furloughs for DOD have always been stated to start on April 22. They are required to give employees 30 days notice of the furlough, hence next week the letters are reportedly coming out. If Congress can't get their head out of their a$$ and solve this mess before April 22, people will start to have days off without pay.

If Congress does get it figured out, we have pissed away a lot of money on furlough notices and lost productivity of employees.

The 20% cut talked about is gross pay. I've figured it out, NET pay is closer to 25% out of my pocket. I'm not really to excited about that..

Mike

JMS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, but when will you start your days off?

What I'm getting at is that a lot of folks are getting letters but I haven't heard of a single person actually losing hours yet.

I think they were gaming us, hoping to get folks fired up and hoping we'd somehow blame the Republican led House but what they really got, for the most part, was a "Yawn...guess I'll have one more day to mow my lawn" and now they don't know what angle to play so they are stalling on the actual furlough.

It really did seem like a lot of the notices I/we got were designed to get people in to panic mode. Talking about how all these airports would get shut down, there'd be long delays, etc. While I'm sure all that is probably true, it seemed a bit sensationalized. I really do think there should be a study done after all this blows over to see the amount of taxpayer dollars wasted. But the study would probably cost $50 million. And thus the circle goes round and round.

blckthree

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, but some folks got their "notices" over a week ago. 30 days doesn't equal 22 April...not even from next Monday.

I think they are stalling is all I'm saying. Some stalling is good...gives our "leaders" (using that loosley) time to figure out budget deal. But I really think they didn't get the reaction they were hoping for.

They aren't going to get much of a reaction from the public. They think all government workers are overpaid and not necessary as it is. The only ones who care about government workers are the employees themselves and their families who depend on them for food on the table and a roof over their heads. That's why the government employee is always such an easy target for Congress. Pay cuts, pay freezes, benefit cost increases, no one but the employee who is paying them really cares.

Mike

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The furloughs for DOD have always been stated to start on April 22. They are required to give employees 30 days notice of the furlough, hence next week the letters are reportedly coming out. If Congress can't get their head out of their a$$ and solve this mess before April 22, people will start to have days off without pay.

If Congress does get it figured out, we have pissed away a lot of money on furlough notices and lost productivity of employees.

The 20% cut talked about is gross pay. I've figured it out, NET pay is closer to 25% out of my pocket. I'm not really to excited about that..

Mike

Just curious but I cannot think of how net loss can exceed gross loss?

rsc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm so glad that today marks 1 full year in Tulsa and out of the government sector! I feel your pain, I really do. I just saw it coming and made the jump sooner rather than later.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/AFGE916
The furlough negotiations for AFMC employees are complete. It looks like the earliest that the furlough notices will be given out to employees will be Friday, March 22. The furloughs themselves will begin April 21. More to come.

Part 2: Employees will be able to request their desired furlough days in a process similar to scheduling annual leave (SCD). All employees must serve 16-20 hours in each of the first 2 pay periods. More to come.

Part 3: An employee may request to serve the furlough all at once minus the frist 2 pay period provision. An employee may also request to serve the furlough in amounts greater than the 16-20 hours per pay period but less than the total furlough time.

Part 4: One caveat to employees picking their own days. If Organization commanders determine that scheduling could lead to detrimental degradation of mission operations, they can determine organization-wide scheduling of furlough days. They have to be able to justify this action and can't just arbitrarily change it.

Part 5: There is much more to this agreement (6 pages). . Please come to our events on March 20.

Sounds like its going to be a big mess. 6 pages to the agreement!

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom