FWD vs 4WD vs AWD for Snow?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I learned as a young man that skill and patience were the best for snow, ice, and mud. I've had 4wd pickups and currently drive a FWD car. Others experience may be different but for me on slick paved roads I've found my FWD Jeep Patriot the best handling car I've driven.

T34r1tUp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fwd cars are too low when the snow is taller the wheels dont touch the ground. Fail.

Awd is just weak. Do any real offroading and its going to break. They call them soft roaders for a reason. Plus it has clutches that let one axle slip so it doesnt hop around corners. Loss of power. Fail

If i want 4wd i want it locked it. Preferably the one that has a lever on the floor. The electric shifts always fail. These are generally alot tougher. I like to feel it when my wheels lock. Win!!

But of course if u abuse anything it will break most people just go out and tear ****

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fwd cars are too low when the snow is taller the wheels dont touch the ground. Fail.

Awd is just weak. Do any real offroading and its going to break. They call them soft roaders for a reason. Plus it has clutches that let one axle slip so it doesnt hop around corners. Loss of power. Fail

If i want 4wd i want it locked it. Preferably the one that has a lever on the floor. The electric shifts always fail. These are generally alot tougher. I like to feel it when my wheels lock. Win!!

But of course if u abuse anything it will break most people just go out and tear ****

Just remember unless you have something like Detroit lockers front and rear most 4wd"s only power one wheel front and rear.

Swab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had three vehicles. A 4wd yukon, a 2wd c1500, and now a 4wd 2500HD. I've only had to use 4x4 for convenience more than pure necessity.

Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I drove a fwd Dodge Omni all over central Alaska our first 2 winters in Anchorage back in the 80's. I could only afford studded tires on the so sometimes the back end got a little squirrelly. Not my first choice but it never left me stuck or stranded.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Lockers are great for off roading, but a crap shoot in vehicles driven on slick roads. Most of the time, the rear locker will wreck a vehicle faster.

I'll second this, my 71 bronco is locked in the rear full time.......spooky on the ice, snow is no big deal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom