G17 v G19 v G26 for home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Assuming you can make any of these guns have the mag/handle length you prefer by using an x-grip, the main factors come down to noise and ability to get on target in close quarters.

Is there any appreciable noise difference between any of these if fired indoors, AND is the G17 too long to maneuver indoors and get on target?

My current thought is if you want a light/rail, the G19 wins out (or G45/19x). What say you?

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say- for a house gun- a full size like a 17/22 size is fine, and most folks can shoot a 19/23 size just as well ( as its only a 1/2” shorter). The only question with at 26 is- can you shoot it as well? Some dont. ( its mechanical accuracy is fine, but the shorter sight radius, lighter weight are harder for some folks. ( the long magazine, even 21 rd can be used in any of them, so capacity doesnt matter)

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
No big difference if you use the same capacity mag in the 19 and 26 as the 17. For some strange reason, I shoot a 26 better at normal home defense distances. The advantage of the 26 might be concealability if you want to carry it.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t see much on a difference for in home use, aside from the G26 being inferior to the other two. I can’t imagine most sub 10 inch barreled handguns being “too long” for home defense to be honest.

What do I use? My 19x with a light. Sometime soon I’ll get it direct milled for an optic.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I don’t see much on a difference for in home use, aside from the G26 being inferior to the other two. I can’t imagine most sub 10 inch barreled handguns being “too long” for home defense to be honest.

What do I use? My 19x with a light. Sometime soon I’ll get it direct milled for an optic.

I am similar to you. I use a 45mos with light

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

current is also 19x w/ light but for some reason a 19 w/ x-grip & G17 mag feels better in the hand.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any is fine. The G17 is definitely not too long to maneuver indoors. I appreciate just a touch more barrel length as the added velocity increases the chances of a bullet performing as designed.

until you start breaking the sound barrier, the longer barrel will actually percieve a hair quieter too. My M&P 9C is definitely louder than my full-size M&Ps with hot (defensive) ammo...not by much, but noticeable.

I actually used a G17 for years as a nightstand pistol, and thought it excellent. I moved to a M&P pro (5") simply because my ranch carry, truck, and living room hideaway pistols are all M&Ps.

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
New Glock.jpg

wDoty

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s a handgun. It’s not going to be too big indoors unless you live in a home made for mice. The 19 is probably the best overall size if one can have just one Glock, but they always grow in number. I actually really enjoy the 26 but its inability to (easily) mount a (good) light really hamstrings it in some scenarios. I prefer a 300U so I tend to actually use a 34 since it sits flush with the lights length, but the TLR7A is a solid light also and it’s 19/19X/45 length and that’s a great combo also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom