Garage door question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have the cash to do this any time soon... but I want to ask anyway.

My garage currently has two 7' openings with ~4' in between. To get the truck in, you have to fold in the mirrors, pull in at an angle until one mirror clears, then cut it hard back the other way to clear the other mirror.

How difficult would it be to make this into a single opening? The tactical driving exercises are getting old. (I've gotten to where I can pull in there pretty fast when I hear there is hail a mile up the road.)

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its not difficult, my parents had it done at their house. They will put a new header up, thats probably the most difficult part.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish my truck would fit in the garage. I feel your pain on the tactical driving. I can get in there for hail/ice but any other time I just park in the driveway.

Bruno2

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
probably $1500.00-$2000.00. To have it done. I am thinking that would include the new door. I would keep the old doors and sell them for something . The door company wont give you anything for them , but , will "haul them off" for free. I bought one of their" haul off doors" for $350.00.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The other option (since I believe you live on some land where HOAs or neighbors are not a consideration) is a carport. Some people dog them (aesthetically), but I have one at my old house and it was awesome in bad weather.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at that once and on mine the garage door was going to be the majority of the cost. It was because the two bays plus the post section was wider than a standard door

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The other option (since I believe you live on some land where HOAs or neighbors are not a consideration) is a carport. Some people dog them (aesthetically), but I have one at my old house and it was awesome in bad weather.

Yep. Don't have to deal with HOA or any of that crap. I'm actually planning on putting a carport of sorts on the side of my garage first as an eventual home for the racecar that is in the garage at the moment.

Since I work from home now, I don't drive much. That and doing oil changes in the grass (very allergic) was my reason to explore the option of a single door.

The "carport" would be more of a gravel floored lean-to

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at that once and on mine the garage door was going to be the majority of the cost. It was because the two bays plus the post section was wider than a standard door

I need to reside the garage at some point, so I was planning to narrow it to 18ft at the sane time as doing the door.

Latest posts

Top Bottom