Garage heads advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you think the problem is related to galvanic corrosion, try soaking in vinegar or CLR, or citric acid. Heat would probably work too if you have something hotter than a heat gun , try a propane or mapp gas torch. After heat try the brute force method with wrench, cheater and air hammer etc.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually have modernized a bunch of old fixtures and love to do it. One of the ones I remember very well was an old above the sink style fixture for a bathroom. Porcelain and glass, the wiring was so old that it was paper covered and almost completely rotten/flaking off. Got some new wiring and after taking it apart I replaced it all as well as put in a new pull chain switch and put it back into the bathroom.

I would love to see some pictures of what inside of the bell looks like on this one as it may be just as easy to knock out what is there and replace it with a simple porcelain bulb holder to make it work as a modern fixture and not have the need to break the bell away from the base. And I would hate to see the fixture break due to stressing it trying to split it apart.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, the experience is worth it. I may have to cut into the fixture (and yes, it’s an older one), but at least I can say, “I repurposed this old thing” instead of just buying a new fixture.
Ok, my final thing. (tonight anyway) Use a dremel tool with a fine blade, cut across the thread in two places, use a wedge or chisel to separate the halves.
When reassembling, put some thread lube on it and use some aluminum colored two piece glue so you can get it back out.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just now tried a 3’ long piece of 1 1/2” square steel tube which barely fit over the pliers. Put enough force on the tube to start the all-steel work bench up on two legs. And that bench is heavy.

That light fixture ain’t gonna budge!

You need to have someone hold the table. And I would use a bigger piece of tube. I’m surprised the 1.5” didn’t bend. That’s pretty small.

You need to keep the base from moving otherwise your not actually applying the torque to the light. Quit pussy footing around (that's a joke).

Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I wasn’t pussyfooting around, trust me. I was at the point of wondering if the extension on which the pliers were clamped would crack. There was a LOT of force applied - enough that I’m confident something would break, and not the threads. Since it’s all pot metal, I’m not going to push it.

FreeSpiritBalloon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you already pushed it and just didn’t get the spectacular failure that would have happened long ago for most of us. Maybe you are lucky or living right.
Still following the on going saga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No wonder I couldn’t get the two components apart! I finally took a Sawzall with bimetal blade to the gap between the two parts and cut it all around. When I looked at the cut pieces, I saw a translucent gray material in the void above and through the threaded part. In the picture, it’s the stuff between the two shiny rings on the base, on the left. It’s hard to the touch; my guess is it was a sealing cement added to the threads before the two components were screwed together. Moving on with my project...

3AE45A76-1BA9-4035-8EEE-D9D4BBA179F1.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom