Garage heads advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All it has to do is catch the corners on points of the socket, it doesn't even have to be centered.

Just a thought. :drunk2:

Since the "nut" is rectangular rather than square, one might be able to use a 12-point socket, but it would have to be big enough to fit the 4 corners that are in the rectangle. The problem with 12-point sockets is that their "points" are shallow, and with a metal such as this fixture appears to be, they might just slip off and round the corners. I'd consider a pipe wrench in a vice with the wrench jaws up. However, that might be unhandy for working with the other "wrenching" device.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At this point, what does a new one cost? I've seen some outdoor security lights in LED for under $50 that have a couple hundred LED's and day/night switching included.
There comes a point in time when you say fawk it, and be done with the headache.
I understand its an heirloom.....but....

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2 foot long crescent wrench and if we can figure out a way to hold the other end, we can apply a lot more torque than the straps will. Maybe use a 1/4" piece of plate or bar stock in a vice and set the end with the slots cut on that to hold and keep it from turning.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going to try a couple things when I get time this week, but thanks for the offer, Slug.

Louro, that question was asked earlier. I can’t imagine it would be a LH thread and the tech support people with whom I spoke confirmed it was a RH thread, but that’s one of the things I’m going to try.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I tried this redneck approach, with a pair of channel lock pliers clamped tightly, then duct-taped, around the stem of the base cover. Then I used a pneumatic hammer with the pliers handles in the fork, and the strap wrench in the vise tight around the housing. Both the pliers and wrench held admirably, but even with the jack hammering action at 90 psi, the thing simply did not budge.

I even tried it in the other direction, just in case it was a LH thread. Nope.

Back to the drawing board...

02DAF609-06E0-4FF4-8353-2406382BA50C.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom