Gate hinge placement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m building some gates for a privacy screen. Currently they weigh 90 lbs. They are made from11 gauge 1.5x3” tubing with 45 degree mitered corners. I’m going to mount cedar fence pickets in the opening.

Just curious if anyone has experience with tue Hindus placement and if there are benefits mounting them closer to the top and bottom of the gate.

I’m thinking about mounting them on the edges and running a strap from the hinder across the top bar for extra support.

Any suggestions?

47BDA0DD-A7C4-4151-8EEB-D3F22F71C0A3.jpeg

F274BDB7-683A-44A8-A9A6-849004CF445E.jpeg

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is length of gate?

Mine are 12'. 1 has the suspension cable on top. Installed because of hinge being ripped apart. It works great now.
The other, 1st I repaired, I put a caster wheel on. Works good, as long as it isn't muddy or grass gets too tall.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where most people make a mistake on heavy gates is the same wall thickness all the way around the gate frame where the hinge side needs to be thicker since that is where the most stress is and beef up the corners on the hinge side.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is length of gate?

Mine are 12'. 1 has the suspension cable on top. Installed because of hinge being ripped apart. It works great now.
The other, 1st I repaired, I put a caster wheel on. Works good, as long as it isn't muddy or grass gets too tall.
82” wide, 60” tall.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I would add at least one more hinge. A little above center point to help take the stress off the top hinge. Been a couple decades but I built a lot of fence in my time.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These are the hinges I’m using. They are rated at 900 lbs per pair. The gates will probably weigh 150 each at the most.

They are a cool design and ride on a large ball bearing.

Still think three are needed?

https://www.progatesupply.com/collections/hinges/products/7-barrel-hinge
View attachment 290395
I used similar hinges on our gates, not advice on placement, but I did add a security feature to them. I ground a slot in the pin, then tapped a hole in the piece that goes onto it and put a set screw in to lock them tegether so the gates could not be lifted off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom