Oklahoma Youth Hunting and Shooting Program

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will add some more pictures. Hopefully we can get okhunter and deer slayer to add some more.
i106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_uPeGWoE1QB7cRntT4edfSwPoIHhRLVNg6_V4pyqwrQ0.jpg

i106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_tNkBIlxTC8JhPudVU0R9WZTC_QG14ihaxY71HKWInrc.jpg

i106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_qD83dMYDfuydGOpnBvNwMaUykPzivCpO1cSGZ7VSMDs.jpg
i106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_lu6u6qSeuaSuZ96R6GesOwiev_VB7O0YBGoypu5BvVw.jpg

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love the pics. Great to see the young folks learning to shoot. You guys have a great program it seems. Lemme look at next year's work schedule around that time, and maybe just maybe I can help out. I already volunteer tons of time for Scouts and this shindig seems just as worthy.
Keep up the good work guys.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Training starts in late spring? Gotcha, boss.
I don't mean to step on Deer Slayer's toes, he is correct there is a lot of year around work to get everything together. However, I had two volunteers that, this was there first year to help. They attended a volunteer orientation one day the last of July or first of August and one day in October to teach gun safety and shooting practice with the youth and then the youth deer gun season weekend. What I am trying to say is, we need volunteers, and if you can't volunteer year around for all the activities, it won't exclude you from helping when you can.

Most start out by testing the waters for the fall youth deer gun season (volunteer orientation is mandatory one time for all volunteers) and then they realize how rewarding it is. Then they ask what else can I do? They volunteer for the spring turkey season. They help with gun raffles, hunting trip raffles and help bring in new volunteers.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right now I am making donation jars to set on the counter of busineses to donate to our program in order to be ready next Fall for 65 children to go on their first hunt. This year we took 46 children. We have a couple new ranches that have stepped forward since the youth hunt. They must be inspected and be certain that they can handle the support staff, hunters, guides and adult guardians that make this program what it is. If you have an interest then let us know before it gets too busy. Our paramount concern is SAFETY for these children. We need trained volunteers well in advance so that when the time comes they are ready and eager.

Bassin - I will get with Huckleberry and see if we can't get the pics up tonight.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, of course. I gotta break them in right don't ya know. Ok, let's see in the picture is yours truly on one knee, Roosta,from the left,Deandre Dangerfield, Jerry Gonzales, Donald Dangerfield, Briaunna Gonzales, in the middle, Miles Rex and Derek Kelso. Derek was a new volunteer guide and did a superior job of working with Briaunna and Jerry. Roosta led Miles and his Father,Greg Rex (taking picture) to a big doe and a fine 8 point buck. Another outstanding year for these children and our program.

Briaunna had a rite of passage as evidenced by her face being painted. She worked hard all summer studying for her hunter education test, had 2 range sessions, and did not hesitate when it came to the moment of shot placement. Truly a job well done. I hear that Jerry and Briaunna are going to be back volunteering next fall.

We have a couple more pictures and stories to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom