Oklahoma Youth Hunting and Shooting Program

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What great stories & great guys/landowners and all involved, these kids & their dads will remember this for a lifetime.
It will be talk of the town & school for a long time kudos to all

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It IS the talk of many work places and schools today.

Sticky - Why don't you volunteer and come join the family??????

Roosta - That is one heck of a brush in. I am sure Kenneth is happy to get rid of some cedars.

This year we had 46 kids and next year the goal is 75 children. We need help! One of my volunteers is bringing a new ranch to me in SE Okla and he had not even been thru the hunt yet when he told me.

We had 10 Browning X bolt .243's loaned to us along with Vortex 3 X 9 x 40 scopes. I shot one of the brownings and the group was covered with a dime and showed not torn paper outside the dime.

Sesh - Call tonight, I'll be waiting with most of the updates in. We sure missed your help this year.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ended up on a ranch in western Oklahoma this year for the hunt. I was guiding a young man from mustang that was on his first deer hunt. We hunted all weekend and never got a shot off. The only deer we saw were either too far or it was too dark. He was a very good sport about not getting anything. We had six kids on the hunt and four ended up taking a doe. I tried to explain that it's not about killing its about the experience and I think the boy and his dad both understood that by the end of the hunt. They both seemed thrilled just by seeing deer, turkey and lots of other wildlife. We shot some skeet one day and Bobby (okie4570) put on a great trapping demo. I finally got to meet Dusty (oklahomabassin) and made lots of new friends. The land owners went way out of their way to help out and make sure everyone had a good time.
I would encourage anyone that can to get involved because it really is changing these kids lives, as well as the parents and everyone involved.
Sesh I wish you weren't so far away. You missed out buddy but I understand.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Roos7a and Okie4570 great stories!
Okie4570, I just want to thank you again for helping this year. The tutorial on the trapping was excellent.

Friday morning started really early and after exiting the truck we headed off into the darkness. We situated ourselves backed into a plum thicket and awaited for the sunrise. As the sun rose, we could see some deer about 600 yards off in the cut hay grazer field. About 25 turkey left there roost and landed in the field in front of us. This was the first time the lady hunter had seen that. The deer presented 2 shot opportunities as they left the feed field for the timber, but my hunter wasn't quick enough getting steady and squeezing the trigger. I explained to her a few tips for being a little quicker on the trigger. Soon we were presented an opportunity at a coyote. (the landowner said to shoot em all, as the week before they came into his yard and killed his dog) She shot just a tad high, but none the less, it was an enjoyable morning. We met up with the others in the group for a little crossbow shooting session before lunch. The kids really enjoyed shooting the crossbow. After lunch break, we had some trap shooting with the kids and fathers. At times it became pretty competitive with the kids challenging the dads. Later that afternoon we split up and headed for the blinds. We saw only one deer this evening but it kept moving from thicket to thicket as cattle bumped it out. When it was safe to do so, I helped her practice her aiming and to speed up her "shooting". I would surprise her with a tree and say alright aim on it and say "pow" when you feel like you should squeeze the trigger. We knocked her time down to be half. We did enjoy the beautiful sunset that, she admitted to never have seen from the woods. Saturday morning we sat in a blind overlooking a windmill and overflowing water tanks. As the sun rose, we heard coyotes howling, and several different birds singing. Soon a deer stepped out for a drink, and when I said it was safe and to shoot, she squeezed off the round and the deer dropped in its tracks. It was about 80 yards away and she was shooting a .243. The smiles on these kids faces make it all worth it. This is my 2nd year to help with this program and I convinced a friend of mine to volunteer. She is already looking forward to next year to help again. I hope to bring in 2 more volunteers next year, might it be you? PM me if you would like more information.
i106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_DSC02280.jpg
i106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_DSC02276.jpg
i106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_DSC02272.jpg
i106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_DSC02266.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02261.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC02266.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC02272.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC02266.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 101

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son and myself had a blast down at Antlers this year. I was sitting next to him in a 2 person tree stand when he shot his first deer, a 75lb doe. He is still excited and talking about it.
She was out about 40 yards, and only ran about 20 feet before dropping. He got a great shot on her.
I think he is hooked. He is already bugging me about finding a place so he can fill his buck tag as well.

i1183.photobucket.com_albums_x462_teamzracing_006.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom