Gate hinge placement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These are the hinges I’m using. They are rated at 900 lbs per pair. The gates will probably weigh 150 each at the most.

They are a cool design and ride on a large ball bearing.

Still think three are needed?

https://www.progatesupply.com/collections/hinges/products/7-barrel-hinge
View attachment 290395
Depends, do you have cattle or bison being kept there? If so I would add a hinge. One of my sisters had bison for awhile. The bull got a leg thru the gate somehow and tore it off the hinges. I told her and her husband it was not strong enough but they thought they knew what they were doing.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used similar hinges on our gates, not advice on placement, but I did add a security feature to them. I ground a slot in the pin, then tapped a hole in the piece that goes onto it and put a set screw in to lock them tegether so the gates could not be lifted off.
Thats why you turn the hinges in opposite directions when mounting so the gate cant be lifted off the hinges

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends, do you have cattle or bison being kept there? If so I would add a hinge. One of my sisters had bison for awhile. The bull got a leg thru the gate somehow and tore it off the hinges. I told her and her husband it was not strong enough but they thought they knew what they were doing.
The closest thing I have to a bison is a chihuahua/ jack russel mix.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used similar hinges on our gates, not advice on placement, but I did add a security feature to them. I ground a slot in the pin, then tapped a hole in the piece that goes onto it and put a set screw in to lock them tegether so the gates could not be lifted off.
I debated turning the hinges in opposite directions but like the idea of being able to remove the gates if needed.

I like your idea better than the opposite hinge direction.

Millerman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only thing i might suggest is that a provision be made for adjusting the hinges for the inevietable sag esp if the latching device is close tolerance. Pushing out from the bottom hinge or pulling in the top. The only way to escape this need is to make the hinge post counter balanced with enought weight to balance the gate.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only thing i might suggest is that a provision be made for adjusting the hinges for the inevietable sag esp if the latching device is close tolerance. Pushing out from the bottom hinge or pulling in the top. The only way to escape this need is to make the hinge post counter balanced with enought weight to balance the gate.
Do you have a suggestion on how to make a weld on hinge adjustable? I have a couple ideas but I’d like to here some.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Millerman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either weld them to a adjusting plate between the hinge and post or a sloted plate on the gate. Ive used a nut and bolt arrangement on a short piece on angle. An inch or so of adjustment should be all thats necessary less so for the shorter gate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom