Gate hinge placement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have to watch dogs with chihuahua in them. Mine thinks he is Super Dog and has been known to attack a chain link gate. :P
Mine, or should I say my daughter’s ran off a Great Dane. Funniest thing you’d ever see. The GD was lifting its legs up wondering what the heck was under its belly.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
These are the hinges I’m using. They are rated at 900 lbs per pair. The gates will probably weigh 150 each at the most.

They are a cool design and ride on a large ball bearing.

Still think three are needed?

https://www.progatesupply.com/collections/hinges/products/7-barrel-hinge
View attachment 290395

I built a door for an above ground tornado shelter using hinges like that. Might actually have been the same ones. The door was if I remember correctly 3/4” thick plate.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats why you turn the hinges in opposite directions when mounting so the gate cant be lifted off the hinges
Really depends on the installation, and ongoing and future requirements.

I need the ability to take the gates down occasionally to paint them, or to permit access for wider equipment. I'd prefer to do that without cutting the hinges off.

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have a suggestion on how to make a weld on hinge adjustable? I have a couple ideas but I’d like to here some.
I have new gates and fence in the works. I am using the same hinge welded to a plate with 4 bolt holes. It will be bolted to another flat plate that has 4 tapped holes. That plate is welded to the post. I will add or remove shims between the plates to adjust for hinge sag.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This ended up being a little more work than I though it would be. I cut the bottom hinges off the post and adjusted them out so the gates will touch to keep them from sagging. If I did it again I would make the plates like redmule mentions. I would of needed to cut the width down on the gates to make that design work since I already had the gates welded up.

I still need to make a latch and the gate drop rods. And seal the cedar boards. These are really more of a privacy fence than a gate that will be used much.

4E7D13B0-0F06-41AD-A93F-57D67E474875.jpeg

B4C8025D-9A9C-4AA0-8A3C-300B8AF010D0.jpeg

C4DA9E09-0FC9-414F-8C46-1AF3F69A2803.jpeg

14123541-31BE-46AF-851D-BC4DD52834F4.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom