General life question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does your wife and children appreciate the sacrifices that you have made for their betterment? The last couple of years I have made some changes to my life insurance policies that will drastically benefit one person, and not my immediate family.
My wife, yes. She gets it and I truly believe she understands and has kept her end of the "deal of marriage". I probably make 80-90% of the family income but that doesn't matter. She has other contributions to the family which I could never do and she knows what I have done and will do in the future.

My adult children, nope. Not at all and that is why I am going to die broke. We have saved very hard to have a great retirement when that day comes, I am hoping to die at a ripe old age the day before I go broke.

Suggestion: I have told my kids that plan. I suggest you do the same so there is not a surprise when you take the dirt nap.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad passed a couple of years ago. As a kid I definitely didn't appreciate him as much as I should have, but now that I am at the age he was when his body started breaking down and having some of the same issues myself, I do now. I'm just glad I was able to tell him that he was a great dad on his last day.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't mean to make light of men's work because it is hard, also. Hell, I think that's why it's called "work". I just can't figure out how people can't see that each side makes significant contributions to a household running smoothly.

But I can also understand how men of a certain age (mostly suburban, city-dweller types in my experience) long for the "Leave it to Beaver" house where the man worked 8 hours, came home, patted the kids on the head and got waited on hand and foot until his wife took him to bed and serviced him before giving him a back massage til he fell asleep. Just so he could do it all over again tomorrow and sit by the pool on the weekends. I'm pretty sure I'd be loathe to give that up also. 😏🤗🤗

I WANT THAT!!!!!!

Unfortunately, our goobermint has made it almost impossible for a "Leave it to Beaver" scenario to exist. It takes 2 incomes to get by.

To the OP, I don't believe kids understand, until they are grown and are in the situation.

The problem arises when they are grown, when they realize AND THEY DON'T CARE, APPRECIATE OR ACKNOWLEDGE your sacrice and EXPECT MORE.

You do all you can, but Noone can hurt you like your child.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My children and wife are going to be very disappointed after my passing. I've been ****ed over for years. You can call me selfish all you want, but I've determined my fate.
Oh no don't get me wrong. I understand completely. There's a reason I walked away from my entire family in my 30s. Sometimes all you can do is save yourself. If this is how you choose to do that, I cannot fault you one bit

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife sure does. We’ve been 50/50 in sharing duties, raising the kids and working ever since we got together. Now she’s the main breadwinner and she is more than generous- she spoils me to no end. I got a helluva deal, and I try to take care of her to the best of my ability. Been a long road and I wouldn’t be here without her.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad passed a couple of years ago. As a kid I definitely didn't appreciate him as much as I should have, but now that I am at the age he was when his body started breaking down and having some of the same issues myself, I do now. I'm just glad I was able to tell him that he was a great dad on his last day.

This!

All too often we don’t see it till we get there age and they are gone.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just hope I don’t end up old and living in a cardboard box on the side of the road with nobody to change my diapers.

I hope not either. But if past experience is any indication, I expect Grumpy to run off with some cute 40-something year old babe in the woods and me to cuss out every health care professional who tells me I'm fine and to just eat smaller bites. 😉🤣🤣 So ... Save a fridge box for me, will ya?? I like to stretch out sometimes. Haha!

Latest posts

Top Bottom