Gentleman over 40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out of pure curiosity, if you "had it to do all over again" what are some of the things you would do differently? I'm not digging for anything specific, just want to pick anyone's brain that wants to share on here or shoot me a PM.
Advice is a valuable thing... at least most of the time!

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have entered college right out of high school rather than waiting until 30.

I bought my first house in 82 when interest rates were in the 17% vicinity and I shouldn't have done that.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You don't want any advice from me. Apparently I haven't done anything right for the last 55 years other than my children, and I hardly ever get to see them.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would have purchased more land and or houses.
Passed up some real bargains one that is worth over 1 million today could have had it for 75k not 12 years ago.

Would have kept all the muscle cars I had. Camaro's, Chevelles, Nova's, Mustang's and Indy pace cars. would have kept the Datsun Z cars also.

I would need all the land to keep them on.

Easy come easy go.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Had children sooner, we were both 30yo when the first one came along. We definitely enjoyed just the two of us for the first 10 years, but in return, both of our kids were born after both grandpas had passed away. Invested more and been smarter with our money when younger. We were good about saving, little to no debt, and invested quite a bit in our 20's. Seems like it's easier to be "financially educated" now than it was 20+ years ago and it doesn't seem like very many are taking advantage of that.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My first wife died when we were both 36 and we had four children. I would try to be a better father to my kids in the aftermath of that tragedy.
Didn't realize how much I leaned on wife until she was gone and it took me a while to recover and my kids paid the price during that gap. Some a little, one a lot, and I regret that more than anything.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be the odd man out and say I would've waited until 35 or 40 to marry and/or have children; before that I never really had (or was able to make) time for "family" things. Not that it was bad for me, but in hindsight there were times that could have been much better for them.

Think I would've also tried harder to stay in college the first time around ... like actually showing up in my own classes and such instead of chasing co-eds and going to their classes with them. Can think of a whole lot of things I shouldn't have taken quite as much for granted just because they were easy for me.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have taken myself less seriously through my 30's. For the most part, my 40's have been the most enjoyable period of my life.

Pay your bills and save something back for rainy days and you'll be alright.

Latest posts

Top Bottom