Getting harassed by a drone while hunting, what do you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okieprepper

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty...
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What happens if a trespassing drone is chasing livestock on private property, and the livestock is in immediate danger?

Dialing 911 might be too late!

Finding the drone operator might be too late!

Livestock if frightened can cause harm or death to themselves unintentionally!
I think ALL of us in your scenario would say "I wish a MF'er would!" And then promptly blast that thing out of the sky. Video of that drone activity would be priceless if the operator tried to deny the occurrence. Still wouldn't stop me from trying to bring it down though. Jack with the livestock win stupid prizes. See you in court.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright then, y’all just go ahead and kick this can down the road for another 12 pages… :anyone:
I’m not too upset about the concept. While I am interested in learning more about the legal ramifications I may not be aware of, a good part of the purpose of this is to simply open up the conversation for all of us to put ourselves in the situation and to see what everyone thinks.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our local game warden @Jared “liked” the post above but yet contributed nothing towards clearing up the legalities for drone harassment or shooting one down. What the heck good is it to have a game warden on the board if he won’t help out with legal issues?!? :scratch:
It's tough to interpret the title 800 Okla game laws. The laws passed by the legislature (not the ODW) with lawyers writing the laws, not common-sense hunter's leave a lot to interpretation.
As an example, the trapping laws were so complicated that not all GW's gave the same advice or knew the extent of the regulations. One can also call the ODW for advice on their legal line, getting a third opinion. In the end, it will end up in court before a Judge who may be totally anti-gun, anti-hunting and anti-trapping with results that differ from what the GW interprets the law. GW is the first level of enforcement, but the courts are the final. I don't have an issue with the GW's on a forum not reciting the law because it may be enforced differently in their county vs another county. Fawking politics!!
I trapped in three counties with advice from three GW's that let me know what their interpretation was. Everyone was different.
Fortunately, some of the rules are being relaxed because the "coon hunter" lobby called the ORA is in disarray internally being totally ineffective as a political lobby currently. They lobbied the trapping laws to be difficult to protect their dogs while ignoring private property rights so their dogs could run across private property unimpeded.
The new proposed regulations will allow conibear kill sets on private ground if I read it right. I'm hoping snares will be the next step to be allowed.
Just my take on the situation.

fishincoop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
30" full choke with a 1 1/4 oz. load of magnum #3 lead shot at roughly 35 yards.

One shot - one kill!
..... and the GW will get promoted for writing you a ticket for hunting drones over a pond with LEAD shot instead of steel. I still think the "harassment of wildlife" (especially waterfowl since they are federally regulated) approach would be the best to way to get GW involved. They will form a task force if they ever got wind of a duck hunter using a drone from his blind to jump ducks up on other side of the area being hunted.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
..... and the GW will get promoted for writing you a ticket for hunting drones over a pond with LEAD shot instead of steel. I still think the "harassment of wildlife" (especially waterfowl since they are federally regulated) approach would be the best to way to get GW involved. They will form a task force if they ever got wind of a duck hunter using a drone from his blind to jump ducks up on other side of the area being hunted.
That wasn't even the good part!

During the split this year, me and a handful of Game Wardens got all of our drones together, loaded them down with IED's and just after midnight, we flew them into a bunch of sleeping ducks and geese on one of our reservoirs. Waiting for daylight, we picked up nearly a hundred birds. After getting all of them processed, we invited Game Wardens from across the state to come by for a duck and goose dinner, and shared our night time "hunting" video with them. They were all so impressed, that we are going out this weekend to see just how many more we kill while the waterfowl sleep. Should be a lot of fun and even more successful with a lot more drones and explosives.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That wasn't even the good part!

During the split this year, me and a handful of Game Wardens got all of our drones together, loaded them down with IED's and just after midnight, we flew them into a bunch of sleeping ducks and geese on one of our reservoirs. Waiting for daylight, we picked up nearly a hundred birds. After getting all of them processed, we invited Game Wardens from across the state to come by for a duck and goose dinner, and shared our night time "hunting" video with them. They were all so impressed, that we are going out this weekend to see just how many more we kill while the waterfowl sleep. Should be a lot of fun and even more successful with a lot more drones and explosives.
Cool story! :D

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting take on air space:

“In these situations, access proponents believe it should be legal for hunters to step from one of these parcels to the other,” he said. “If the intersections were properly marked, and step ladders installed, you could step from one to the other without ever placing yourself on private property. Invariably, the folks who hate the idea of corner crossing are the people who enjoy private access to those public lands. As is, they can block public access through the dubious concern that someone’s shoulders would theoretically be in their ‘airspace’ for a fraction of a second. While it’s accepted as such, it’s actually not entirely clear whether or not corner crossing is truly illegal. In fact, it’s being tested in Wyoming right now by four hunters who stand accused of criminal trespassing.”

From this article:
https://www.themeateater.com/conser...ing-corner-crossing-case-everyone-is-watching

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

“In these situations, access proponents believe it should be legal for hunters to step from one of these parcels to the other,” he said. “If the intersections were properly marked, and step ladders installed, you could step from one to the other without ever placing yourself on private property. Invariably, the folks who hate the idea of corner crossing are the people who enjoy private access to those public lands. As is, they can block public access through the dubious concern that someone’s shoulders would theoretically be in their ‘airspace’ for a fraction of a second. While it’s accepted as such, it’s actually not entirely clear whether or not corner crossing is truly illegal. In fact, it’s being tested in Wyoming right now by four hunters who stand accused of criminal trespassing.”

From this article:
https://www.themeateater.com/conse...ing-corner-crossing-case-everyone-is-watching
I had never heard of corner crossing before. Be interesting to see how this turns out.
Apparently, Montana is having the same issue with private landowners blocking access to public lands for the same reason mentioned in your link about Wyoming.
https://www.hcn.org/issues/47.2/this-land-is-their-land

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

From this article:
https://www.themeateater.com/conser...ing-corner-crossing-case-everyone-is-watching

I had never heard of corner crossing before. Be interesting to see how this turns out.
Apparently, Montana is having the same issue with private landowners blocking access to public lands for the same reason mentioned in your link about Wyoming.
https://www.hcn.org/issues/47.2/this-land-is-their-land

I have my opinions on this. I wasn't aware of it, but I've run up against something similar in Western OK. There is a big 'ole swath of river bottom that is on public land, but the only way in is across a private landowner, and they will not allow access. The local DWC guy knows a legal way in, at least he told me he did, but he wouldn't tell us how to do it. I don't know how many acres of land is down in there, but it's a bunch. It's big enough you couldn't bird hunt it all in a weekend, and the public that paid for it has little or no access.

I got a little pissed at the state paid employee that wouldn't help us, but he just said that wasn't part of his job. In that I suppose, he was correct.

Private landowners making it impossible for the tax paying public to access land that is held in the public trust for all of us to enjoy doesn't seem proper, but it happens every single day.

I'm sure landowners of large swaths of land feel differently.

Latest posts

Top Bottom