Getting harassed by a drone while hunting, what do you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s what a lot of people think, but the airspace in the US is free to all, barring restrictions like around airports and military installations, and the FAA controls that airspace. There also are restrictions such as not flying over crowds of people or moving vehicles without proper training and licensing and propeller guards, etc. Otherwise, you can fly a drone up to 400 feet AGL in Class G airspace over just about any piece of land (or water.)

What a landowner can restrict is operating a drone while on his or her property. In other words, they can trespass a drone pilot from their land. But if that pilot goes to the public road and stands on the public easement and flies the drone back over the landowner’s property, not much they can do. Legally.
I know that wind generators pay the landowners for use of the airspace.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would say the public hunting land during the certain season should have a sign that reads no drone zone.

Not sure if it would help but you never know.
It is public tax payer land correct me if I'm wrong.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would say the public hunting land during the certain season should have a sign that reads no drone zone.

That would have to be cleared with the FAA since they’re the final word on the use of airspace. Sure, the manager of the public land could ban drone operations within the boundaries of the land in question, but they can’t prevent flyovers from adjoining land where the drone pilot might have permission to be. Now, hopefully such a pilot won’t be a Richard about it!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Call a friend to go to your truck. Record any vehicles in the area. Stay there until you get back.
2. Notify Sheriff and GW.
3. Be prepared to press charges.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know I’m a pessimist, but I’d bet my 401k that calling the law would be as effective as writing your Congressman. “We’ll look into it”, and that’s the end of it. If you don’t know where it came from, neither will they. And I have little faith they’ll expend much energy hunting it down, either.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was shot down it would most likely be by some one trespassing and hunting illegally.

Then the owner would not be able to trespass and find it. It would leave them with the options of calling the police, or writing their congressman. Unless your face was caught on video.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You are wrong about how public hunting land in Oklahoma is purchased. It is not paid for with taxes. It is paid for by hunters. The license fees for hunting licenses and tags pay for it.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it was shot down it would most likely be by some one trespassing and hunting illegally.

Then the owner would not be able to trespass and find it. It would leave them with the options of calling the police, or writing their congressman. Unless your face was caught on video.

But the property owner cannot keep the drone, either. If the owner can show where it went down via the flight log - and they can do that easily - and they called LE, the property owner would have to allow the drone to be retrieved.

Latest posts

Top Bottom